Girls Tennis Defeats Reigning Missouri State Champions

Devin Kane

Junior Morgan Colbert warms up for a conference match up with Belleville West. Colbert played a key roll in the Tigers defeat of Rockbridge.

Maddi George, Views Editor

EHS girls tennis took a road trip to the Columbia Duals in Missouri this past weekend and came home with the upset.

The top nine players from the team were sent to the tournament and took down the Rockbridge High School Bruins, the defending Missouri State Champions, 5-4 and Jefferson City 9-0 in matches.

“We played doubles first so the top three doubles teams played and then after we finished doubles the top six singles players played,” senior Callaghan Adams said.

Defeating the reigning state champs did not come easily for the Tigers. Junior Morgan Colbert came down to the team’s final hope as the matches were tied 4-4.

“She came back after losing the fist set and she then won the second set and won the tiebreaker. We were all super excited,” Adams said.

Senior Grace Harmon, another contributing factor in this weekend’s matches, viewed this tournament as any other match, but knew the accomplishment surrounding their win.

“…At first there are nerves but the whole team is there to support each other which makes it easier. And it felt amazing to be apart of a team that beat [Rockbridge], supposedly they haven’t lost a home match in about a decade,” Harmon said.

Colbert felt great pulling out the win against Rockbridge knowing that their hard work had paid off.

“We go out there everyday focused and ready to work hard… Coach Lipe also takes us up to Chicago throughout the season to get even more practice and matches against good teams,” Colbert said. “It was a great win for the team and a great personal win. It really shows that all the hard work we put in everyday is paying off.”