Surprising Hawks Have Won 16 Straight

We’re reaching the half-way point on the 2014-15 NBA season, and perhaps the biggest surprise of the season comes from Atlanta. The Atlanta Hawks have jumped out to 37-8 record in the first half, good for the most wins in the NBA. Throughout the season, the thriving Hawks have withstood the competition, climbing up to the number one spot in the Eastern Conference. They own a league-best 11-2 record against Western Conference opponents this season, including road wins against the Trail Blazers, Mavericks, Rockets and Clippers.

The Hawks have also found themselves in the midst of a franchise record 16-game win streak, further proving that they are the team to beat in the East.

However, there’s a case to be made that the Hawks lack star power. The Hawks’ two leading scorers this season, point guard Jeff Teague and power forward Paul Millsap, rank in the top 40 in the NBA in scoring. Millsap also ranks tops on the team and 28th in the league in rebounds per game. He has a legitimate, though not overwhelming, case to get voted in as an All-Star, as does Teague, who ranks eighth in the NBA in assists per game.

The Hawks’ offense has found a way to score in various ways—evidence as to why Atlanta ranks sixth in the league in points per game. The big men, Millsap and center Al Horford, can dominate the paint, while sharp-shooter Kyle Korver can drain the ball from outside. Ranking second in the league in assists, the Hawks have exerted elite ball movement, resulting in points adding up in bunches. Teague facilitates the offense, leading the charge down the court and opening up plays while also averaging a healthy 17 points per game. Korver possesses the most accurate three-point shot in the league, sinking 53 percent of his attempts from behind the arch, a league-high by far.

The Hawks’ offense continues to impress, but Atlanta especially excels on defense. Atlanta’s dominating defense claims the top spot in the league, holding opposing offenses to the lowest points per game. Teague and Millsap play a major role in creating turnovers, as they rank in the top 15 in the league in steals per game. Forward DeMarre Carroll won’t hesitate to snatch the rock from you either. Both Millsap and the towering Horford play a physical game in the paint. “Big” Al sits in the top 20 in the league in blocks per game, proving that short shots don’t come easy in Atlanta.

Members of the NBA media have compared these Hawks to the last NBA team to win a championship without a superstar, the 2003-04 Detroit Pistons led by Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace and Richard Hamilton. Coincidentally, those Pistons had a similar win streak right around this time (a 13-gamer that ended Jan. 19). The Pistons’ leading scorer that season, Hamilton, ranked 28th in the league in scoring at the end of the season; a spot that Millsap and Teague could hover around if they keep up their play.

The Pistons also maintained to put up big streaks at the end of the season, winning eight straight games twice in a six-week span. We’ll wait to see whether these Hawks can manage something similar and carry it into the postseason.

For now the Hawks have their eyes set on a couple of key matchups headlined by their Feb. 6 game against the Golden State Warriors, owners themselves of a 16-game win streak earlier this season. Together these two squads have made NBA history, becoming the only two teams in a season who have gone unbeaten for a span of at least 15 games before the All-Star break.

The Hawks and Warriors claim the top two spots in each conference. While the Hawks rarely lose at home (20-3 in Atlanta), Golden State owns a threatening road record (15-5). The Hawks’ defense will have to stop the most consistent scoring duo in the league:  the Splash Bros, Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson.

While Curry remains an MVP-candidate, as well as the leading vote-getter for the All-Star game, his partner in crime Thompson continues to make his case as the most skilled two-guard in the league. Don’t forget that Thompson racked up 37 points in one quarter the other day, an NBA record. This matchup truly brings together two of the toughest, most feared teams in the league in what could be a preview of the Finals.

Atlanta has much to look forward to before the All-Star break. Continuing their aggressive play will highly factor into whether their historic win-streak can stay alive, as well as being the deciding component throughout the rest of the season. The biggest surprise team in the league, Atlanta has filled NBA fans with excitement. With prominent matchups on the horizon, there’s no doubt Atlanta will be in full form in the weeks to come, displaying high-powered offense backed by dictating defense.

Drew Bradley
Drew Bradley, Staff Writer
Drew Bradley is a senior at Edwardsville High School, where he is a main contributor to The Claw newsmagazine. Drew’s hobbies include watching every kind of sport and talking to his friends about them. He loves the Green Bay Packers, the Portland Trail Blazers and several baseball teams. Drew is a varsity golfer, and is looking for a state championship run this year. Drew likes to listen to several kinds of music, from A Tribe Called Quest to Hippie Sabotage to Sublime, though most of his favorite songs are of the ‘90s hip-hop genre. He also likes many kinds of movies. Drew loves to hang out with friends, as he is very friendly and talkative. He also runs a lawn care service. Drew is also interested in men’s fashion. Drew owns a Yorkshire terrier named Hershey, a fun-loving dog. He is Drew’s best friend. That is Drew Bradley in a nutshell.