Seahawks and Patriots set to battle in Super Bowl XLIX

The main difference between the two Super Bowl contenders this year is the difference in momentum. The New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks road to the biggest game was different, one stressful and one stress-free.

Coming off arguably one of the biggest blown games in professional sports history, the Seahawks kept their cool and clawed their way into overtime against the mighty Green Bay Packers. From there, it just seemed like destiny. The 2013 Super Bowl Champion, Russell Wilson, chucked the pigskin from mid field to Jermaine Kearse, who had an exceptional catch, for the walk off winning touchdown.

Russell Wilson told to the Seattle Times, “The game started off kind of ugly, huh? But that last, what, three minutes and plus the overtime is probably as good a game as you can get. Can’t get any better than that.”

Another big reason for the Seahawks success in getting back to the Super Bowl for a second straight year is head coach Pete Carroll. Carroll’s winning drives the team to win.

“Will with, this is a group that has really committed to understanding what it takes from themselves and from the team and they have learned a lot,” Carroll said. “So their expectations are very high because they know when they do things together, ain’t nothing we can’t do, and they exhibited that again today.”

The biggest injury during the game was the popular, Seahawks shutdown cornerback Richard Sherman.

“There shouldn’t be any limitations,” Sherman said on his play in the Super Bowl, reports the Everett Herald

This game will absolutely go into the record books as one of the best games in history. On the other hand, the Patriots game was not so interesting.

After the conclusion of the Seahawks game, the Patriots took on the young and talented Indianapolis Colts in Foxborough, Mass.

Although there was controversy over the Patriots’ footballs being deflated under NFL regulations, it is likely that it didn’t have much to do with the 45-7 blowout.

According to the New York Post, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, said in the postgame interview after the big win against the Colts, “I only have one thing to say: We’re on to Seattle.”

This will be Tom Brady’s sixth Super Bowl contest in his career, which is the most by any quarterback in history.

“We’ve had a lot of good teams in the past,” Brady said. “This one is going to have to win a very important game to leave its legacy.”

“There’s a lot of motivation for a lot of different reasons,” Brady said when asked if there was any more motivation after the criticism early in the season. “You don’t want to judge your team after three or four games, and it’s important not to ride the roller coaster. We’re in the Super Bowl now, and it’s pretty sweet.”

The two programs will be set to play in Glendale, Ariz. on Feb. 1, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. central time.

Bailey Zimmer
Bailey Zimmer, Staff Writer
Bailey Zimmer is a senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys writing sports pieces for the Tiger Times and The Claw. When Bailey is not in school, he is most likely watching baseball, hanging out with his friends, or watching his beloved Rams. His dream is to become a part of a baseball franchise and wants to become a businessman for an MLB team. Bailey is the first baseman for the EHS varsity baseball team, and helped the team get to the “Elite Eight” Super-Sectional game his junior year. Bailey hopes the team will get even farther this year. His dream has always been to attend the University of Missouri, however, he is still in the process in deciding between playing college baseball and attending Mizzou.