St. Louis in Danger of Losing Football

One of the worst fears for any sports fan would be to lose their team. Rams fans, including myself, would have a loss of words if our beloved Rams left the Lou.

On Monday, Stan Kroenke, owner of the Rams, teamed up with Los Angeles officials to build a beautiful stadium in Inglewood, Cal. This would return the franchise that called Los Angeles home from 1942-1994.

According to ESPN, Missouri Gov., Jay Nixon had some things to say about keeping the Rams in the Midwest. “St. Louis is an NFL city,” Nixon said Wednesday. “I don’t think it’s too late to keep the Rams.”

A year ago, Kroenke bought 60 acres of land in Inglewood. Although this seems like the final dagger into St. Louis Rams’ fans heart, it may not be. How else would he get the city of St. Louis to start the process of rebuilding a stadium? It is a good business strategy to start a “bidding war” to make the most profit.

This doesn’t mean that the plan isn’t to land the Rams in Los Angeles, however. This simply means that it could cause the city of St. Louis to start building a new stadium in the next few years before the Rams leave the outdated Edward Jones Dome.

The only thing Kroenke wants for the Rams organization is a brand new stadium.

Many things would have to go St. Louis’ way to receive the funds to start building a new stadium. A big loan from the NFL would have to be granted to the city along with many donations and an increase in taxes.

According to the St. Louis Business Journal, Nixon, in November, appointed Dave Peacock, the former president of Anheuser-Busch and chairman of the St. Louis Sports Commission, and Bob Blitz, an attorney with Blitz, Bardgett & Deutsch and former member of the St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority, to study how to keep the St. Louis Rams in St. Louis.

On Friday, Jan. 9, 2015, the board gave a plan on a potential stadium being built in St. Louis. This brand new stadium would stand as an outdoor venue on the edge of the Mississippi River.

Bailey Zimmer
Bailey Zimmer, Staff Writer
Bailey Zimmer is a senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys writing sports pieces for the Tiger Times and The Claw. When Bailey is not in school, he is most likely watching baseball, hanging out with his friends, or watching his beloved Rams. His dream is to become a part of a baseball franchise and wants to become a businessman for an MLB team. Bailey is the first baseman for the EHS varsity baseball team, and helped the team get to the “Elite Eight” Super-Sectional game his junior year. Bailey hopes the team will get even farther this year. His dream has always been to attend the University of Missouri, however, he is still in the process in deciding between playing college baseball and attending Mizzou.