NFL’s Elite Eight Takes Center Stage This Weekend

It’s finally that time of year; the first round of the NFL playoffs. This upcoming weekend features the surviving elite eight NFL teams that have been talented enough to continue to fight for the Lombardi trophy. In the playoffs, the games become more intense, the fans become louder and the players become animals. It’s a survival of the fittest.

To kick off the festivities on Saturday, the Baltimore Ravens will visit Gillette Stadium to take on the mighty New England Patriots. Though the home team is favored to win, don’t underestimate Baltimore’s heavy offense. Quarterback Joe Flacco demonstrates elite consistency in the postseason, while running back Justin Forsett offers versatility as a strong runner and a consistent pass-catcher.

However, Tom Brady plans to pick apart the decimated Baltimore secondary, resulting in a boatload of targets going to Pro-Bowl tight end Rob Gronkowski. Brady also rarely loses at home.

With New England’s man-to-man coverage on the wideouts, the Ravens can use their speed to their advantage. Joe Flacco isn’t afraid to take chances down the field and will have to hit on a few to keep Baltimore in this game. The Ravens always make things interesting, but the Patriots are healthy and better equipped to handle them.

Prediction: Baltimore 17, New England 24

Later that night, the Carolina Panthers will march into Seattle to take the defending champion Seattle Seahawks out of the postseason race. Looking at the regular season records between these two teams, it’s fair to say that the Seahawks will dismantle and destroy the Panthers.

However, if you look at opponents that have multiple games against Seattle dating back to last year, there’s an argument that no one has performed better than Carolina. Even though the Panthers don’t have a win in two matchups, they’ve only lost by a combined score of 25-16.

The Panthers are on the rise as well. Their run game is shaping up with Jonathan Stewart taking the carries, and their defense is allowing an average of less than 17 points per game in their last five games. Carolina’s defense will have much to take care of though with Seattle’s powerful running back Marshawn Lynch and dynamic quarterback Russell Wilson.

This game will be ugly and physical, but Cam Newton and the Panthers won’t be able to do enough against Seattle’s top-tiered defense.

Prediction: Carolina 13, Seattle 20

To kick off Sunday’s matchups, the Green Bay Packers host the Dallas Cowboys in the frozen tundra. Though all the hype on this game will be focused on the Aaron Rodgers vs. Tony Romo matchup, the real story will question whether Dallas can piece together a defense that can stop the MVP-candidate Rodgers and company.

Last week, while throwing a strike to wide receiver Randall Cobb, Rodgers aggravated his strained left calf. Earlier this week, team doctors discovered a slight tear in his calf, along with it being highly strained. Though Rodgers will play, he will not be near 100 percent. Dallas will look to use blitz packages early to test the quarterback. However, even though Rodgers is hampered, there’s no doubt that his powerful arm can lead to the Packers to victory.

However, the Cowboy’s star-studded offense will score heavily on Green Bay’s mediocre defense. It’s up to Pro-Bowl linebacker Clay Matthews to lead the Packers’ defense to minimize scoring. Rodgers can do the rest.

Prediction: Dallas 28, Green Bay 34

Rounding off the second round of the playoffs will be the Indianapolis Colts taking on the Denver Broncos in Mile High city. With no running game, a bad offensive line and a speed defense that will struggle outdoors, the Colts are the most flawed team still in the playoffs.

However, don’t sleep on Andrew Luck. No one in the history of the game has passed for more yards in their first four postseason games than Luck. He can change the outcome of this game, but it will be hard to do so over such a talented Denver secondary.

While age seems to be creeping up on reigning MVP Peyton Manning, he is still one of the best in the league. The Colts had no wide receiver threats against the Bengals last week, but now, they will have to deal with Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker and Emmanuel Sanders. Oh, and running back C.J. Anderson, who has been one of the most surprising rookies of the year, averaging almost five yards a carry while rushing for eight touchdowns this season.

The Colts are going to need quite a bit of “Luck,” both literally and figuratively if they are going to defeat the Broncos are their own turf. However, if anyone’s going to do it, there’s no better story than the young up-and-comer defeating the old legend.

Prediction: Indianapolis 28 Denver 24

Drew Bradley
Drew Bradley, Staff Writer
Drew Bradley is a senior at Edwardsville High School, where he is a main contributor to The Claw newsmagazine. Drew’s hobbies include watching every kind of sport and talking to his friends about them. He loves the Green Bay Packers, the Portland Trail Blazers and several baseball teams. Drew is a varsity golfer, and is looking for a state championship run this year. Drew likes to listen to several kinds of music, from A Tribe Called Quest to Hippie Sabotage to Sublime, though most of his favorite songs are of the ‘90s hip-hop genre. He also likes many kinds of movies. Drew loves to hang out with friends, as he is very friendly and talkative. He also runs a lawn care service. Drew is also interested in men’s fashion. Drew owns a Yorkshire terrier named Hershey, a fun-loving dog. He is Drew’s best friend. That is Drew Bradley in a nutshell.