Top 10: College Football Uniforms Take Center Stage

Nothing is better than seeing your team run out of the tunnel of college football Saturday. The traditions that are brought to the field for each individual university is why college football is so popular for millions. One of the things that hype up college football fans is seeing their team walk out with their new fresh uniforms. Here are my top 10 best uniforms for the 2014 season.

10. Stanford

The Cardinals usually stick to the traditional cardinal red and white. “I really like what Stanford is doing with the new ‘all black’ uniforms that they have. They look good,” senior Carter Marteeny said. They have now changed their philosophy in the fact that it is an all-black uniforms it shows a “dark side” to Stanford. It looks very well-done and includes a very good looking matte black helmet.

9. Penn State

The football tradition of Penn State is to wear the simple white pants and navy blue jersey on game day. This also includes a simple white helmet with a blue stripe down the center. The uniforms have been worn since 1890 when they replaced pink and white uniforms, and will probably never change.

8. Missouri

The Tigers roll with two new sharp uniforms combinations. “I love Mizzou’s football uniforms. I think they look sweet on the football field,” senior Fahd Shakeel said. They wear matte black helmets for both, and one of the jerseys is gold, and one silver. The yellow jersey includes a black slash on the shoulder representing tiger stripes.

7. Florida State

The Seminoles broke out very flashy uniforms for the 2014 season, after winning a national championship last season. They are wearing the traditional red and white uniforms, and adding a new black uniform and new red helmets. The uniforms all include a new neck and shoulder imagery.

6. Louisville

The first year in the ACC for the Louisville Cardinals, they break out sweet new “all black” uniforms. These include very clean black uniforms with red numbers and a black chrome helmet with the red cardinal logo.

5. UCLA

Another school to adopt the all black uniforms is the Bruins from UCLA. The football team added a “midnight in LA” uniform. It includes a fair amount of baby blue and gold accents.

4. Washington

The Huskies are embracing three new uniforms to the football program. They introduce an all-black, white and purple uniform. “I’m excited to see the Huskies new uniforms hit the field, they look cool in pictures,” said senior Aaron Jackson.

3. Notre Dame

The classic look of the Fighting Irish is still one of the best around college football. A key change to the uniform is the enhancement of the gold helmet. It makes the helmet shinier and makes the uniform more noticeable. The simple navy blue and gold pants are worn at home games and white jerseys and gold pants for away games are still one of the best looking uniforms in college football.

2. Maryland

The Terps uniforms are ones that are extremely unique. The university uses the state flag of Maryland in their football uniforms. The half and half uniforms are the most colorful with the right side of the uniform being red and white, and the left side being yellow and black. Other uniforms include the black ops, which is their all black uniforms, and white ops, which is their all white uniforms.

1. Oregon

The best uniforms in college football are the University of Oregon’s. Each year they introduce uniforms that are extremely flashy and look very good on the football field. This year they announced a green with silver uniform that has the wings on the shoulders and the wings on the chrome helmets. It has a split between the green and silver on the wings. The next one is a yellow and white uniform set up the same way as the green and silver one. Oregon will rarely wear the same uniform twice so you will see a combination of uniforms from the Ducks this season from the past.

Bailey Zimmer
Bailey Zimmer, Staff Writer
Bailey Zimmer is a senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys writing sports pieces for the Tiger Times and The Claw. When Bailey is not in school, he is most likely watching baseball, hanging out with his friends, or watching his beloved Rams. His dream is to become a part of a baseball franchise and wants to become a businessman for an MLB team. Bailey is the first baseman for the EHS varsity baseball team, and helped the team get to the “Elite Eight” Super-Sectional game his junior year. Bailey hopes the team will get even farther this year. His dream has always been to attend the University of Missouri, however, he is still in the process in deciding between playing college baseball and attending Mizzou.