Which Sport is Truly the Hardest?

Athletes will argue with one another which sport is the hardest to play. Football will say that they have to run with pads on, to which everyone will reply that they only have to run for six seconds before they get a 30 second break. Soccer players will say that they have to run for 40 minutes straight before getting a 10 minute break before having to do it again, others will retort that there isn’t any contact and that “nothing happens in soccer.”

As a soccer player, I have taken part in this argument several times. I have argued with football players, volleyball players and baseball players. Each sport will take turns attacking the other to convince everyone that their sport is superior to all. The only sport that I have never been able to argue against is hockey. Hockey is, without a doubt, the toughest sport to play.

Somehow all sports come together to form this ultimate sport. Take the contact of football, the cardio of soccer and the instruments of baseball, then throw in ice and skates and you have hockey. I have nothing but respect for those who rise to the challenge that hockey poses.

With as much praise as I am dishing out, you’d think that hockey players would be used to it. But still, every post-game interview I have seen of a professional player amazes me. A hockey player’s ability to remain humble is something to respect.

Take St. Louis Blues player T.J. Oshie’s post-game interview after he dominated the Russians in the 2014 Winter Olympics hockey game. The interviewer called him a hero to which he responded, “I’m not a hero. Heroes wear camo, and that’s not me.” Oshie was obviously referencing those who are members of the armed forces.

Now look at professional NFL player Richard Sherman’s post-game interview after winning the NFC championship. He shouted at a reporter that he was “the best corner in the game.” He called his opponent, Michael Crabtree of the San Francisco 49ers, by calling him a “sorry excuse for a wide-receiver.”  Pretty arrogant, huh?

Football isn’t the only professional sport with some hot-headed players. Soccer has players who think they are the best thing there is after scoring a goal. This can be seen by the over eccentric celebrations players will sometimes perform.

Let’s not forget that last year, after the Chicago Blackhawks defeated the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup championship, the city of Chicago bought the first page of the next issue of the Boston Globe and thanked the city of Boston for hosting such a pleasant series and having an extremely respectful crowd. Maybe the sporting community mirrors its teams?

Hockey is a sport that deserves respect from all. Maybe that’s why the players and community are so admirable. They know that in order to gain respect, they have to be respectful. Allow me to get the ball rolling by saying that I respect more hockey players than I do players of my own sport.

Connor Wright
Connor Wright, Sports Editor
Connor Wright is a Senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys playing soccer for EHS as well as writing for the Tiger Times in Journalism 2. Connor was born on May 9,1996 and has matured into a spontaneous young man. He plans to pursue a double major in journalistic writing and Biblical Studies with a minor in Spanish. He is looking at colleges right now and perfers to attend a Christian university such as Liberty University, Union, or Wake Forest. He enjoys the company of his friends and family.