Boys Basketball Advances To Sectional Finals

The EHS Boys Basketball team proved to be superior “hoopers” to the Quincy Blue Devils as they ended their season and terminated their journey for the state title Friday, March 7 at Quincy.

Fierce energy filled the gymnasium as both opponents battled to be named “Regional Champions”, and walk away with the plaque that would send them onward to compete in the sectional final game.

The Tigers and Blue Devils began the game with action that made the night predictable—it would be one close game.

Back and forth 3-pointers by EHS senior Trevor Clay and Quincy senior Alex Shoot kept the score board changing and fans on their toes. By half time, the score was a close 32-26, led by the Tigers.

After half time, Quincy began to fall short on its plays, missing shots and getting continuous fouls, and the game lost its predictability.

The Blue Devils’ players received up to five fouls at times, giving the Tigers more opportunities to get ahead of them on the court. For every shot missed by Quincy, the Tigers could count on EHS senior Armon Fletcher’s skill and incredible 6-foot-5- inch height to get the rebound.

“We go for every opportunity possible and never take no for answer,” junior Kendall Edmond said. “That’s why we came up on top tonight.”

Quincy’s downfall in the game meant for the Tigers uprising. EHS continued to make successful plays and shots.

Freshman Mark Smith shone in the light when his 3-point shot right-bound of the arc made it into the hoop, and Edwardsville fans went wild. Senior Shawn Roundtree also had a prosperous night with a total of 23 points, followed by Armon Fletcher with 20 points and several dunks.

“It was clear that we were getting ahead of the game at this point,” junior Alyson Bergman said. “We were getting all of our shots in and they were missing all of theirs—it was amazing basketball done by the Tigers.”

By the end of the fourth quarter the final score read 65-49, an astonishing victory for Edwardsville.

“It’s truly so amazing to have won this my senior year,” senior Josh Hines said. “We can only go up from here and nothing can beat this feeling that we have in our hearts right now.”

The Tigers play next Tuesday night at Vadalabene Ceneter at SIUE at 7 p.m. against Belleville East.

Cristina Rivera-Bosques
Cristina Rivera-Bosques, Editor-in-Chief
Cristina Rivera-Bosques is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw.  She enjoys shopping, reading intriguing articles, and listening to Beyoncé.  Her favorite class at school is Journalism 2 of course, as well as any writing-intensive courses.  She works at The Cup and at the St. Louis Zoo. Visit her, and maybe she'll give you a free cupcake. She hopes to be successful enough to double major in Journalism and Psychology at Indiana University Bloomington or the University of Missouri. Enjoy reading through the site!