Tigers Advance to 7A Semi-Finals

Despite the wind and rain Saturday, dedicated fans packed the stands to cheer on their team as the Tigers emerged victorious in their battle against northern rival Lincoln Way East, 21-14.

“It was awesome.  I had no doubt that they could make it this far in their season,” said sophomore fan Rachel Anderson.

The Tigers’ goal remained simple: protect their undefeated season.

Senior Elijah Crockett was the first to score a touchdown for the Tigers, followed by a field goal from junior Trenton Daley, making the score 10-0.

Soon after that, Daley kicked two more three-point field goals, making the score 13-0.

Unfortunately, this did not discourage Lincoln Way; they came back with two touchdowns and two successful field goals, taking the lead 14-13 heading into the fourth quarter.

The Tigers took this in stride as junior Dan Marinko scored a touchdown and then ran the ball for an additional two points.  That last touchdown ensured the Tiger win.

Stand-out plays included two game-changing catches by junior Fontez Davis and an interception in the fourth quarter by senior Craig James.

“I feel like our team executed correctly and had heart,” senior Cameron Throneberry said.  “We did not give up at any point in the game and that is why we won.”

“We are undefeated and we have a great chance to do something that has never been done at Edwardsville,” junior Mick Peddicord said.

The Tigers will continue their undefeated season and head to the state semi-finals 12-0 against Mount Carmel next weekend.

Lauren Corby
Lauren Corby, Staff Writer
Lauren Corby is a senior at Edwardsville High School. She enjoys spending her time playing volleyball and softball. Lauren is headed to University of Arkansas Pine Bluff on a volleyball/academic scholarship and later hopes to pursue a nursing career. She loves coffee, cream soda and anything edible. Lauren is addicted to working out. She loves Journalism 2 because Mrs. Thrun is the teacher and because of all the awesome people.  She cannot wait to head to college next fall.