‘Heads Will Roll:’ Boys Soccer Wins Regionals

On Saturday Oct. 26, the Tigers and the Quincy Blue Devils collided for the regionals showdown at Gordon Moore Park in Alton. Although the Tigers were victorious, they did not operate their win very smoothly.

Throughout the game, both teams went head-to-head, literally. Senior forward Brent Heinlein often handled the ball keeping it out of the end zone, but his highlight of the game was not about himself. It was about the head butts during the game.

“I remember Josh Kowalis just completely lit up this kid,” Heinlein said. “He completely tackled him.”

Heinlein says that this moment, as well as others, is due to Edwardsville’s rivalry with Quincy. The desire to go to the state championship only heightened the intensity.

“We don’t like each other,” Heinlein said.

Other nonviolent highlights of the game include the two goals scored by senior Landon Paul. Every goal of each regional game this year has been scored by Paul.

The Tigers were at 1-0 for the first half, and by the end of the second half they were at 2-1. Their resistance was broken by the Blue Devils. They fought back. After a few more collisions, Quincy was in the end zone trying to put the game into overtime. There was less than three minutes left on the clock. A foul was called causing Quincy to get a free kick. The Tigers made a wall, and the ball ricocheted off of junior defender Liam Burke’s ankle. The Tigers won.

Senior Adam McLean said, “When everybody ran out on the field and we cheered…it was pretty exciting.”

Cameron Thomas
Cameron Thomas, Editor-in-Chief
Cameron Thomas is a senior at Edwardsville High School and the Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times. He is also Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Tiger Yearbook. A few of his favorite magazines are Vogue, GQ and all publications by Condé Nast. He spends a lot of his time reading fashion articles and staying up to date on the latest trends. One of Cameron's aspirations in life is to be a well-recognized fashion editor of a major publication. Go figure.