EHS Field Hockey Having Unexpected Success

Field hockey is off to a successful season, having already surpassed their previous record of eight wins and 11 losses.  This year, their record is 10 wins and only two losses, their only defeats coming from St. Joseph Academy and Ursuline.  This is a great difference compared to last season, so what is the big change?

“We communicate better, work better as a team and we will do whatever it takes for us to win,” senior right wing Abbey Rasche said.

They have played good teams this year and have had some important wins against teams that they did not have last year.  A few of their biggest wins include Villa Duchesene, Vistitation Academy and John Burroughs. The field hockey team also won the Gateway Classic Tournament earlier in the year which fueled their ambitions for the season.

Rasche believes this year looks very promising.  She is not alone.

Junior center Noah Manibusan thinks the team is better connected on and off the field.

“Instead of working as individuals we are working as a team,” Manibusan said. “Also, we get to practice and play on the turf which has helped us prepare for other teams with similar fields.”

They only get to practice or play on the turf whenever football or soccer isn’t using it, but it is still more than they had last year.

Another change from last year is that Coach Bree Hatton stepped down from her position as JV coach.  Most of the field hockey coaches are fairly new, including new varsity coach, Coach Abby Comerford. It is Coach Comerford’s second year coaching.

Freshman Annie Mulford likes the coaching staff.  “It is intimidating being a freshman on a varsity team; [the coaches] made sure no one would mess with me.” The team is very accepting of Mulford.

“We have a big sister, little sister set-up where the older girls help the younger ones,” Mulford said.  “This helps the chemistry on the team greatly and will help us in games to come.”

Hopefully the boosted chemistry of the team will help in field hockey’s next game against Nerix Hall at Nerix Hall Saturday, Oct. 10.

Lauren Corby
Lauren Corby, Staff Writer
Lauren Corby is a senior at Edwardsville High School. She enjoys spending her time playing volleyball and softball. Lauren is headed to University of Arkansas Pine Bluff on a volleyball/academic scholarship and later hopes to pursue a nursing career. She loves coffee, cream soda and anything edible. Lauren is addicted to working out. She loves Journalism 2 because Mrs. Thrun is the teacher and because of all the awesome people.  She cannot wait to head to college next fall.