Flaugher To Be Remembered As One of the Greats

Out in the rain on a cold day at Oak Brook Golf Course, there’s rarely a golfer to be seen. Unless, of course, that golfer is Emilee Flaugher.

Rain or shine, hot or cold, the senior golfer never misses a day at the course.

“She’s a tireless worker,” former Tiger Golfer John Schmidtke said, “She strives for nothing short of perfection.”

That might have something to do with the record two low scores of 31 she’s already posted in her young season. She’s also won the Marquette Invitational Championship and shot the lowest scores in every match she’s competed in this season.

Flaugher believes the season is off to a very good start. “I feel like if I keep working to improve my game, it’ll reflect out on the course.”

It most definitely has.

Despite her tremendous success, Flaugher stays humble, attributing much of her success to her father, Scott Flaugher and swing coach, Bob Tays.

“My dad has never stopped supporting me,” Flaugher said, “He’s there at every single match and every single tournament.”

Mr. Flaugher also practiced with her every day when she was starting out, which was only her freshman year.

That’s the same year she began working with Tays. “Tays has really molded me as a golfer,” Flaugher said, “Not only my swing, but my attitude on the course as well.”

Tays has had a good feeling about Flaugher since the beginning. “She’s a quick learner, and has always had something very special in her game,” Tays said.

As for the future, Flaugher is already committed to play at the University of Virginia next year, although she prefers not to focus too much on the future.

“I need to stay focused on each individual shot,” Flaugher said, “Not what tournaments I need to win, and not what scores I need to shoot.”

Flaugher is well on her way to becoming the best golfer in Edwardsville history, one shot at a time.

Harrison Gorden
Harrison Gorden, Staff Writer
Harrison Gorden is a senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys working out, writing music and playing basketball, golf and tennis. He intends on attending a university in Southern California, and pursuing a career as a musician/actor. Although, if his dreams don’t play out, he will pursue a career in the business field. He is a passionate Illini and Chicago fan, and loves to argue. He also dreams of having a pet monkey and a bear habitat one day. Give him a read!