Tigers Take A Victory

On August 30, the Edwardsville Tigers started their season with a win against Hazelwood West.

With a well-played game, the Tigers won 46-0. The scrimmage the previous Friday had them ready for a victory.

“I love the atmosphere and getting the chance to represent Edwardsville,” senior tight end Hayden Schmidt said. Many of the football players that play alongside Schmidt feel the same way.

“We work harder and are coached to a higher standard than most teams,” Schmidt said. This mind set should take them far into their season, but every team has things they need to work on.

The defense of the Tigers was strong Friday, as they did not have one touchdown scored against them.  The fact that they have eight of the returning starters from last year is a big contribution.

“Our first game went well but there are still a few things that we need to improve on,” senior running back and defensive back Craig James said. James scored the first touchdown of the game on Friday.

Along with James, touchdowns were scored by Elijah Crockett, D’Anthony Knight, Darius Crochrell and Dan Marinko. The Tigers came to play, as many of the students at EHS came out to support. There were a total of around 1,000 students attending the game.

“I am proud of my team,” junior free safety Tommy Maxwell said. “We all have the same mindset and goals to work towards as the season continues.”

The Tigers will fight their next battle Saturday Aug. 7, at East St. Louis. EHS wishes them luck in the rest of their season. Go Tigers!

Lauren Corby
Lauren Corby, Staff Writer
Lauren Corby is a senior at Edwardsville High School. She enjoys spending her time playing volleyball and softball. Lauren is headed to University of Arkansas Pine Bluff on a volleyball/academic scholarship and later hopes to pursue a nursing career. She loves coffee, cream soda and anything edible. Lauren is addicted to working out. She loves Journalism 2 because Mrs. Thrun is the teacher and because of all the awesome people.  She cannot wait to head to college next fall.