Wake Up and Walk

HEY! Yeah, you. Are you ever walking in the hallway trying to get to your next class when some kid walks out in front of you at the pace of a turtle? Every student at Edwardsville High School has more than likely been in that situation.

Maybe you’ve also experienced a time when you need to get to your locker, but two “soul mates” that just started dating last week decided to play tonsil hockey right in front of it.

“Couples strolling through the halls in general are irritating. They can live a few seconds without holding hands. I would like to get through a day without seeing that. Split up and save it for another time,” senior McKenzie Chin said.

The halls of EHS can sometimes transform into a scary place during passing periods. Move one foot the wrong way in the hallway and you’ll get trampled, knocked over, or pushed against a wall; but of course, this could result from you walking in a sloth-like manner. If only everyone knew how to properly walk.

“What annoys me the most about the hallways is when you drop something and you can’t even take two seconds to pick it up because people are constantly surrounding you and it’s so crowded,” senior Katie Chartrand said.

Listen, if you want to stand around and talk to your friends during the passing period, fine. But please do so out of everyone’s way. Believe it or not, some students actually try to get to class on time.

Walking and talking at the same time shouldn’t really be that difficult, but I guess not all of us know how to multitask. On the way to your next class, trying to get there before the minute bell rings, the girl in front of you finds a friend and starts squealing with excitement. “Oh my gosh, I haven’t seen you in forever! How long has it been? Like two hours? I’ve missed you so much, girl!” Really? I don’t think you need to be that dramatic.

Oh, and nothing is more annoying than a guy spotting his “bro” across the hall and then immediately shouting “HEY (insert childish nickname here) WHAT’S UP MAN?”

Even though you might think it’s okay to express your obnoxiousness in the hallway, that doesn’t mean others agree. We all have one destination: our next class. Sure, maybe you need a good talk with some friends that you rarely see. But, for the sake of all students, learn how to walk, and we’ll all be satisfied.

Ashlynne Kaliher
Ashlynne Kaliher, Staff Writer
Ashlynne Kaliher is a senior at EHS. She enjoys adventuring with her friends on the weekends and reading books every once in a while. Her favorite subject in school is Journalism, of course. Writing and fashion are Ashlynne’s two greatest passions in life. Writing is something that will always follow her, and she plans on pursuing a career in writing at some point in the future. Fashion is important to her because it can be used to express your personality. Ashlynne lives by the saying “Everything happens for a reason.” She tries to enjoy the little things because life is short, so why not?