Anti-Valentines and Why You Just Shouldn’t

Love is in the air and following behind it is a weird feeling of disdain, as the anti-Valentine’s students rise out from the shadows wearing black to symbolize their hatred for this famous Hallmark holiday. This is the moment when you run.

Everyone has that one friend who is “anti-Valentine’s Day.” Usually it is because this friend is single; although sometimes it is because the person just doesn’t like it. I think it sucks to be single on Valentine’s Day, but that doesn’t mean you should go around raving about it and ruining a good day for everyone else. Shoot, most single people on Valentine’s Day are still happy and loving the well….love. You simply cannot go around with a surly attitude. Don’t ruin peoples’ good day by hissing ‘I hate Valentine’s Day’ when you walk by.

It’s a day meant for happiness, not always romantic relationships. Find some hilarious Valentine’s cards and pass them out to your friends, maybe even hang out with your comrades and go have a day to yourselves indulging in opulence.

Girls, you can go get your hair done or get a pedicure and manicure; just relax and watch “Pitch Perfect” for the thousandth time and belt out the songs.  Do whatever tickles your fancy.

Guys: go hang out with your bros. Go to Bdubs and watch a game or play trivia. Go play pool and lounge around. Just have fun.

What I’m trying to say is that being in a tizzy and mumbling how much you hate Valentine’s Day is not going to get you anywhere. It’s not going to solve anything. Simply live the day; it isn’t the end of the world, you know. Just another Feb. 14.

Caitlin Rutz
Caitlin Rutz, Culture Editor
Caitlin Rutz is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is ready to make the best of this year. While most of her time is spent speaking in German just for the fun of it, the rest of her time is spent reading and writing in Journalism. She is ecstatic to finally be an editor this year and plans to make the most of it. She is happily planning her future out and taking it one step at a time with a stable head on her shoulders. When she isn't practically living in the Journalism room, she holds many conversations in German with her best friend Sam Jueckstock.