You Think We Care, But We Really Don’t

Everyone knows one of “those” people. They open their mouths and you know they’re going to say something to make them sound like they’re better than everyone else in the room. I’m sure you’ve got someone in mind right now, and if you don’t, then, chances are, you probably are that person. What these people don’t seem to realize is that they can be annoying and make some people around them uncomfortable.

Almost everyone has that one idiosyncrasy that they think makes them different or more outstanding than the person next to them. These mannerisms are sometimes worn on a person’s sleeve like a badge. If you’re the unlucky individual that makes a comment around one of these people, and they decide to tell you how yoga has impacted their life, then you only have yourself to blame.

If I didn’t ask how veganism is going for you, then I don’t want to hear about it. I’m glad you think you’re saving the world one tofu brick at a time, but I have no intentions to listen to you tell me everything there is to know. If I ask, please tell me. If I don’t, keep it to yourself.

I’m sorry that you believe that you’re better than I am because I don’t follow a certain religion. I have an appreciation for all religions and like to learn about them, but I don’t want any of them shoved at me. If I wanted to be a Christian, don’t you think I would be?

Let me lay it down for you. Just because you do something that is “different” than other people, that doesn’t make you any better than them. You only listen to vinyl records? Great. Good for you. I don’t care.

Oh, you’re looking to get a dog? Have you ever thought of rescuing a greyhound? I have.

Maggie Mackin
Maggie Mackin, Staff Writer
Maggie Mackin is a senior at EHS. She’s generally quiet unless she has something to say. She likes dogs, in particular the bigger breeds. Paramore and Fall Out Boy are her favorite bands, but she likes a ton more. The St. Louis Blues are her favorite hockey team but she likes the New York Rangers as well but doesn’t follow them too closely. She loves photography and writing which helped her on the decision to join the 2014-2015 yearbook staff and continue taking journalism classes. All she wants to do in life is take photos of dogs.