Not So “Guilty” Pleasures

Most people have something that they don’t quite want to admit that they like. It could be absolutely anything: a book, a song or a TV show. The possibilities are literally endless. But do we honestly think the things we like are so embarrassing that we need to call them our guilty pleasures?

Let’s face it, some people out there like some weird stuff. But that doesn’t mean that they should be embarrassed about it. I mean, of all things to like, I like campy science fiction movies. What’s weird to you may not be weird to someone else, and what’s weird to someone else may not be weird to you. Each person on this planet has a differing opinion on almost everything.

“Everybody has something [that they may be guilty about],” Senior Danielle Williams said.

You can’t expect others to like the same things as you. You can’t even expect everyone to respect what you like and leave it at that. That just isn’t how some people work these days. There is no way to get around these people besides ignoring them and carrying on. It may not seem easy, but with time, it can and will happen.

Williams enjoys going home after school and watching TV.

“I hate when people ask about [after school] activities,” she said.

No one should be embarrassed by what they like. In fact, you should take pride in it. Don’t let other people get you down for liking what you like. Keep your likes to yourself or broadcast them to the entire world if you want to. Let everyone know how much you love “Doctor Who” and Katy Perry, and don’t let it bother you that they think “Doctor Who” is stupid or that Katy Perry is overrated.

Maggie Mackin
Maggie Mackin, Staff Writer
Maggie Mackin is a senior at EHS. She’s generally quiet unless she has something to say. She likes dogs, in particular the bigger breeds. Paramore and Fall Out Boy are her favorite bands, but she likes a ton more. The St. Louis Blues are her favorite hockey team but she likes the New York Rangers as well but doesn’t follow them too closely. She loves photography and writing which helped her on the decision to join the 2014-2015 yearbook staff and continue taking journalism classes. All she wants to do in life is take photos of dogs.