Top 10 Fashion Trends

Over time things change; this is inevitable.  Something that is constantly changing, especially with teenagers, is fashion.  Fashion is always changing, whether it’s a completely new trend or fashion history repeating itself.  Here are 10 fashion trends that have been very popular this past year.

1. Printed leggings: They come in every color and pattern you could ever dream of, from Aztec to animal print.  Printed leggings can be a cute, stylish way to bring visual interest into your wardrobe.

2. Converse: The old Chuck Taylors have been thriving since they first came out, but it seems that the trend is not only the shoe itself but the color.  White Converse seems to be the “must have” shoe this year.

3. Galaxy print: It’s like staring into space; all I see is stars.  Galaxy printed shoes, leggings, shirts, shorts, all of the above.  It’s everywhere.

4. Jordans: Boys, I must warn you: don’t be that kid who wears a Polo shirt and khakis with “J’s on your feet.” It just doesn’t work.  An outfit that works with J’s is a T-shirt, some jeans and a snapback.  You can’t be a “prep boy” and wear these shoes.

5. Combat/Riding Boots: Forget riding horses and combat training; boots are a must have.  Combat boots can add a fierce edge to an outfit and still look cute and stylish.  Riding boots look great with jeans, dresses… pretty much anything.  They can be perfect for making an outfit look either more casual or dressier.

6. Crop Tops: If you are going to wear one of these ladies, don’t wear them  in the vicinity of children.  Also, wearing a sports bra and saying it’s a crop top doesn’t count.  Even though they can show a lot of skin, they can also be really cute.  Especially the vintage ones.

7. Beanies:  If you are having a bad hair day and also want to look like a “hipster,” a beanie is probably your best option.

8. High-Wasted Pants:  Ladies, if you are going to attempt to wear these and pull them off, you must have a little curve to you.  Otherwise, they just look like a diaper.

9. Framed Glasses: This may be a hot trend but if you don’t need glasses, don’t waste your money.

10. Graphic Cat Shirts: This is probably the most entertaining trend of them all.  Remember seeing all those funny cat videos on YouTube?  Well now those cats have moved to T-shirts with space and even food backgrounds (mostly tacos.)  Why?  It’s one of the mysteries of this generation.

Paige Schmittling
Paige Schmittling, Staff Writer
Paige Schmittling is a junior at Edwardsville High School.  She spends her time playing softball year-round and working out.  She hopes to attend Western Illinois University and play college softball and major in athletic training.  Paige loves listening to music and watching horror movies.  Paige joined the Journalism 2 staff because she loves Mrs. Thrun and writing. She enjoys going to Cardinals games and watching baseball.  Paige is very energetic and loves the company of her friends.