Hipsters Gone Missing

Everywhere you look you see girls rocking a beanie–or at least trying.  The popular style is printed leggings with oversized sweaters, accompanied with big-framed nerd glasses.

All these things used to be considered “hipster,” but are now considered “mainstream.”  Where have all the hipsters gone?

There is no such thing as originality anymore due to the desire to fit in.  We need hipsters back in our society to balance things out.

Tattoos used to have a meaning, but it seems now that every girl has an infinity sign somewhere on her body.  Sometimes you wonder if they even know what the word infinity means.

People today are so caught up on what society thinks of them that they don’t even have their own sense of style.  Hipsters used to have a style that was different from the rest, but it now seems as though everyone is beginning to dress alike.

Remember when only skateboarders wore Vans?  Now you can find a pair of them on just about every EHS student’s feet.  Maybe it will pass as a fashion trend in the next year.

However, it isn’t just the similar clothes and meaningless tattoos; it’s also the activities that people do in their spare time.  Everyone is suddenly interested in going on long nature walks and taking photos on railroad tracks.

Maybe it’s the strange obsession with old music all of a sudden or the hanging out at coffee shops that people seem to love so much.

Stop making hipster things mainstream–it just seems contradictory.

Lauren Corby
Lauren Corby, Staff Writer
Lauren Corby is a senior at Edwardsville High School. She enjoys spending her time playing volleyball and softball. Lauren is headed to University of Arkansas Pine Bluff on a volleyball/academic scholarship and later hopes to pursue a nursing career. She loves coffee, cream soda and anything edible. Lauren is addicted to working out. She loves Journalism 2 because Mrs. Thrun is the teacher and because of all the awesome people.  She cannot wait to head to college next fall.