Pose, Snap, Edit—And Your Total Is…

Whether it’s sweating over the cost of college or saving to buy a car, senior year is a year of change—and even more so, a year of rough financial times. As if there wasn’t already enough on your plate, it hits you: the idolized senior pictures you have yet to take. Where will you go? And most importantly, how much will you spend?

Maybe you’re not giving up a penny. Maybe your piggy bank is as barren as the Sahara. Whatever the case may be, just thinking about how much money it will take to get through four or more years of college can be a burden. And now you have to pay to look pretty in pictures that your parents will be handing out to their coworker’s sister’s cousin?

We seniors have it rough.

The problem that has arisen is that what has become the “normal” amount to pay for senior pictures is enough to break you. Ten years ago, I doubt anyone would have even considered paying over $2,000 in total. Now, it has become a common occurrence.

I won’t say that my parents didn’t spend a good amount of money on my senior photos, because they did. I’m also not claiming that it’s wrong to spend a lot of money on something that will last for the rest of your life. However, I will go as far as to tell you that it is not necessary.

Those of you who don’t have the spare change or maybe just can’t bring yourselves to spend so much money, I urge you to look at your options. Whether it’s the professional photographer with the studio and all the props or your best friend’s mom, a photo is a photo. Sure, with a difference in cost comes a difference in quality, but it all comes down to how much you’re willing to spend.

Other options include a pro-in-training, such as a college student who could use the extra practice and cash, or even a friend of yours who has a knack for taking creative photos. All you need is someone who knows what they’re doing behind the camera. If they know that good lighting is the key and know how to use settings other than auto, you’re good. Pick a day with good weather and find some scenic backgrounds and you’ll most likely be happy with your result.

Now don’t take this as a lecture because I’m not one to talk. This is simply a fair warning to the seniors who wanted to wait until the spring and for the juniors who will be facing this dilemma in as little as six short months.

All in all, the best advice I can give is to be reasonable. Your grandma probably won’t even be able to tell the difference.

Hannah Thomas
Hannah Thomas, Views Editor
Hannah Thomas is a senior at Edwardsville High School and the Views editor for Tiger Times and The Claw. She loves blogging and photography along with her job at Edison's Entertainment Complex. Hannah enjoys country music and horror movies and is a fan of any novel by Nicholas Sparks. Being a member of Yearbook Club and National Honor Society, her goal is to leave one last mark on her school this year before going off to college. She hopes to be able to hold onto her tiger pride by attending the University of Missouri to major in journalism. Hannah hopes to make her senior year as memorable as possible and loves meeting new people. Get to know her!