Please, No… Not “The Call”

The ring of the phone echoes throughout your house. You look at your clock. It is five o’clock in the morning. You heard it was going to be cold, but could it be? Could school really be cancelled? The superintendent’s voice presents to you the oh-so-wonderful news. No school! But wait… again?

Hip-hip-hooray for snow days—except how many is too many? As much fun as it is to lay in bed watching the next season of “Gossip Girl” on Netflix, is the excessive number of snow days really helping you in the end? I hate to break it to you, but probably not.

Here and there, there’s nothing more that I love than having a break from the work. At the end of the year, though, I would rather have enjoyed my year to the fullest, and I don’t believe that’s fully possible when the ratio of school days to snow days is so ridiculous.

When school is cancelled, it’s not all rainbows and butterflies. It may seem like it at first, but the clouds loom over my sunny sky as soon as I get all of my make-up work dumped on me my first day back.

No, the snow days don’t only affect the teachers and administration. They put extra stress on the students as well. I would much rather take my time to learn the material than to rush through it on a strict time schedule. I don’t learn under pressure, simple as that.

Besides the school work and the stress to learn the massive amount of information before finals, snow days affect clubs immensely. Clubs work strictly on deadlines.

The talent show participants rushed to be prepared for the Friday night performance. The yearbook staff must pull together to complete the book before the timer stops ticking. Multiple sporting events were cancelled along with many practices, pushing back the schedule of many athletic teams.

It’s safe to say that not everyone benefits from a two-day school week.

According to rumors, this isn’t the end of the frigid weather. Unfortunately, the weather is in control. But next time there’s a chance of getting “the call,” I beg you not to do the snow dance.

Hannah Thomas
Hannah Thomas, Views Editor
Hannah Thomas is a senior at Edwardsville High School and the Views editor for Tiger Times and The Claw. She loves blogging and photography along with her job at Edison's Entertainment Complex. Hannah enjoys country music and horror movies and is a fan of any novel by Nicholas Sparks. Being a member of Yearbook Club and National Honor Society, her goal is to leave one last mark on her school this year before going off to college. She hopes to be able to hold onto her tiger pride by attending the University of Missouri to major in journalism. Hannah hopes to make her senior year as memorable as possible and loves meeting new people. Get to know her!