The Fall of the Last Golden Bastion

If it were not for the respectability of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, it would be easy to claim that the Golden Globes were getting too political. That’s what it seems like based on the wide range of films and programs receiving awards when many where nominated for up to seven categories.

Sundays winner for drama, “12 Years A Slave,” did not take home a single other award in the evening despite having nominations in seven categories. When one talks about a film winning the award show, they usually mean it took best picture and assume that also means they won a slew of awards as well.

No actors from “Breaking Bad” took home any awards either, though the shows final season did win Best TV Series Drama.

While “Brooklyn 99” did only take one award, its first season has earned itself a youth cult following, mostly due to its lead actor, Andy Sandburg and his Saturday Night Live era following. Brooklyn 99 won for this year’s best TV comedy. To be honest though, that is not saying much due to the lack of good lay back television this year.

While I am more or less indifferent to whom actually gets picked, I find it annoying when inconsistencies come up in award shows. When not a single film or television show is a clear winner I get the vibe that politics have run rampant.

I was hoping that would be the difference between the Oscars and the Golden Globes. The Golden Globes have historically been less political in nature. The HFPA has always been less likely to be schmoozed due to their foreign members meant to function as unbiased judges.

The most annoying part of this for me is that the award shows have not simplified my life. I was always under the impression that the reason we rely on experts to tell us what was good and not was so that we could have a starting point on how to spend our minute free time. With so many winners this year, I can’t possibly watch them all.

I think it is high time that the Golden Globes realizes that I as a consumer am lazy and would like to be treated accordingly.

Sam Goggin
Sam Goggin, Staff Writer
Sam is a junior year writer for Tiger Times. He is an active participant in debate club. Sam works at Edwardsville Gun Club. He listens to many types of music, usually electronic in nature. His favorite book is A Fault in Our Stars and his favorite movie is Spirited Away.  Sam was born on January 2, 1997. He intends on getting a doctorate in philosophy and pursuing a professorship.