‘Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful…’ Meanwhile at EHS

The dawn of 2014 that means people are going to try to change for the New Year.  There is one thing that has already made a big change at the start of this semester: the weather.

Already this year, EHS has had a whole week of school cancelled on account of the weather. Considering the temperatures were in the negatives, I am so glad that it was cancelled.  I think everyone agrees with me on that.

Personally, I hate the cold and would do anything to not have to walk to school in it.  Not to mention I park at the complex.  There was no way I would have survived walking in that arctic tundra.

When I woke up on Sunday morning, all I can recall is looking out my window and just seeing white.  The real shock was going outside and the snow being up to my knees.

I don’t think anyone would have enjoyed walking to school in that.

I remember hearing on the news, was that if you were outside for 30 minutes or more in some areas that there was a high chance of getting frost bite.  No thank you.

With the cold temperatures and a negative wind chill of negative 30 or more, I think we all would have been popsicles before we reached the front doors.  It’s safe to say that below zero is much too cold for school.

One thing that is interesting is how the weather has changed just in these last few days.  It’s normal to have snow in January; however the weather has gone from below zero to 40 degrees this past week.  That’s quite a difference in a matter of days.

Illinois has always been a hot bed of strange weather activity.

Paige Schmittling
Paige Schmittling, Staff Writer
Paige Schmittling is a junior at Edwardsville High School.  She spends her time playing softball year-round and working out.  She hopes to attend Western Illinois University and play college softball and major in athletic training.  Paige loves listening to music and watching horror movies.  Paige joined the Journalism 2 staff because she loves Mrs. Thrun and writing. She enjoys going to Cardinals games and watching baseball.  Paige is very energetic and loves the company of her friends.