Let It Snow, Let It Snow… Mm, Maybe Not

Winter brings holidays, comfort food and frigid weather.  One of the most anticipated things about winter for students is the coming of potential snow days.  However, maybe we should think about this a little more before we pray our hearts out for a snow day.

As a little kid, I loved watching TV and waiting for my school’s name to scroll across the bottom of the screen to find out whether we had school.  I loved getting to sleep in, play in the snow and relax for the day.  Who doesn’t?

Now that I’m older, I would rather sacrifice playing in the snow for a little more fun in the sun during summer.

We always get so excited when we hear we don’t have school the next day, but is it really worth it?  We all know we are going to sleep in until 11, stay inside and watch TV all day. I would rather get out of school on time than spend an additional whole week here.

Like everybody else, I would definitely take a day off from school any day.  I still love waking up to hear that we don’t have school.  However, when we get called off school multiple times on account of a small amount of snow, it gets a little boring.

If there is snow completely covering the streets and it’s dangerous to drive due to ice, I can understand it is for everyone’s safety to stay home.  I don’t want to be slipping everywhere or feel like I’m getting frostbite from the walk to the school from my car (and I park at the complex.)

From a teenager’s point of view and mine personally, if you just need a day to rejuvenate, I understand.  If you have a stack of homework that is starting to look like Mt. Everest, I will definitely take what I can get.

Although the administration takes all factors into consideration, such as ice, snow or temperature etc. and wait as long as they can to call it off.  Sometimes the weather conditions change in an instant and snow days get wasted.

Would you rather get out of school on May 20 or the 30th?

Paige Schmittling
Paige Schmittling, Staff Writer
Paige Schmittling is a junior at Edwardsville High School.  She spends her time playing softball year-round and working out.  She hopes to attend Western Illinois University and play college softball and major in athletic training.  Paige loves listening to music and watching horror movies.  Paige joined the Journalism 2 staff because she loves Mrs. Thrun and writing. She enjoys going to Cardinals games and watching baseball.  Paige is very energetic and loves the company of her friends.