‘Tis Not the Season To Be Jolly Yet

When the holiday season rolls around, houses are decked out in décor.  There are wreaths on every door, Christmas trees in every front window and lights hanging from the rooftops of homes, lighting up the dark nights of December and late November.

Being that my birthday is in December, it is a given that Christmas is my favorite holiday.

Don’t get me wrong, I love all the Christmas décor around the holiday season, but my question is this: Why do people feel the need to put their decorations up two months in advance?

It’s always a family tradition in my home to put the fake Christmas tree and other decorations up on the day after Thanksgiving. Why? Because my family is all together and we can all help decorate the house.

It’s acceptable for individuals to get into the holiday spirit on Black Friday after buying their loved ones presents.  When people buy presents for others, it often gets people into the giving mood which then leads to them wanting to decorate their homes in jolly red and Christmas green.

What I don’t quite understand is how many families put their decorations up before Thanksgiving.  Do they not want to celebrate with Thanksgiving décor?

Along with that, advertising too early in November is not necessary. It takes away from the holiday of Thanksgiving which should be celebrated just as much as Christmas.  Thanksgiving is important because it is a time to show your gratitude for and devotion to your loved ones.

Let’s all try and focus on one holiday at a time please.  ‘Tis the season for Christmas cheer, just not before Thanksgiving.

Elizabeth Hill, Staff Writer
Elizabeth Hill is a senior at Edwardsville High School. Her family and friends call her Lizzie.  She is looking forward to being a staff writer for The Tiger Times Online and The Claw.  She is a member of Interact club, Film Society and French Club.  In her spare time, she enjoys baking, playing golf, reading and watching old television shows on Netflix.  She prefers the subjects journalism 2 and psychology to math and science.  The Perks of Being a Wallflower is by far her favorite movie.  She enjoys eating pasta, Mexican food and homemade popcorn.  Elizabeth is looking forward to going away to college and becoming more independent.  She hopes to attend the University of Missouri next fall.  She would like to major in journalism and minor in business.