FroYo is a No-No

In the need for some frozen yogurt but can’t find a frozen yogurt establishment? Well maybe that’s because they don’t last. Not here in Edwardsville, anyway.

Every year-round frozen yogurt place that has opened in Edwardsville has gone out of business and I can only wonder why. Maybe it’s because it is constantly cold. The only time temperatures are above 70 degrees around here is the summer—only the summer.

I love frozen yogurt but I do not think that Edwardsville is a smart place to settle down if you are a fro-yo shop. Think about it: we are a seasonal place. Businesses experience the ups and downs of fall, winter, spring and summer.

Bobby’s and the outdoor Annie’s close once fall makes an appearance. A year round frozen yogurt establishment will be outdone by places like Sacred Grounds and Starbucks. Why? This is because during the winter, everyone wants a nice cup of coffee, tea or hot coco to warm them up.

Twist, a fairly small business with only two locations in Illinois, was mildly popular and quite tasteful. However, they closed within three years.

Orange Leaf opened next to Happy Up! Inc. and I am waiting to see how long this lasts. The difference is that Orange Leaf is a giant franchise spread amongst 38 states. With three stores open in Illinois and nine more coming soon, it appears that Orange Leaf will become more well-known in the Land of Lincoln.

I’m intrigued to see if this works. Maybe Orange Leaf will be the new hangout for teenagers, similar to Starbucks and Sacred Grounds. Maybe they will lose to the competition in the rather cold weather we experience half the year. Only
time will tell.

Caitlin Rutz
Caitlin Rutz, Culture Editor
Caitlin Rutz is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is ready to make the best of this year. While most of her time is spent speaking in German just for the fun of it, the rest of her time is spent reading and writing in Journalism. She is ecstatic to finally be an editor this year and plans to make the most of it. She is happily planning her future out and taking it one step at a time with a stable head on her shoulders. When she isn't practically living in the Journalism room, she holds many conversations in German with her best friend Sam Jueckstock.