Awareness Months

We can’t cry for the whole world, right? We need to pick our own battles and focus on those. It is the only way to stay sane. Why, then, are so many days, weeks and months dedicated to the world observing some cause or tragedy?

I’m all up for respect and dedication; I just want that it to be my choice. I don’t need commercials to yell at me and remind me of how horrible the world is at times. I turn on the television and one day it’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the next it’s Haitian American Heritage Month.  Before long Sept. 17 comes around and it’s Zoo Awareness Day followed by Bicycle Day two days later. I don’t have the energy to keep up with this.

What nerve these people have to say that because Penguins With Disabilities Day is so important to them, they will force it down the throat of the entire world. They can’t possibly donate and serve every charity and spend days dwelling on all the ships that have sunk. Maybe the penguins are not on the top of my priority list. Why, then, will they not give me the same respect?

If an issue is so important then should it not be a constant focus? Instead, we have created this habit of feeling good about ourselves for raising awareness one day or month of the year and then act as if it has been fixed. If you forget about it as soon as the commercials have stopped emphasizing it so much, chances are everyone else has too.

The important thing to remember is that next month is No Shave November. It gets a pass.

Sam Goggin
Sam Goggin, Staff Writer
Sam is a junior year writer for Tiger Times. He is an active participant in debate club. Sam works at Edwardsville Gun Club. He listens to many types of music, usually electronic in nature. His favorite book is A Fault in Our Stars and his favorite movie is Spirited Away.  Sam was born on January 2, 1997. He intends on getting a doctorate in philosophy and pursuing a professorship.