No Good Deed Goes Unnoticed

In today’s fast moving society, people sometimes forget that one small act of kindness can impact a person’s mood or even their whole day.

It’s unfortunate that these small acts of kindness are so rare. So rare, in fact, that when they do happen, they make national news.

For example, Joey Prusaks, 19, a Dairy Queen worker in Minnesota, was working when a visually impaired customer dropped $20 on the floor and noticed that another customer picked it up and pocketed the cash.  When the customer who took the money came up to order, Prusak refused to serve them until they gave back the money, but the customer refused.  He went up to the visually impaired customer and gave them $20 out of his own pocket and offered an apology on Dairy Queen’s behalf.

Another restaurant good deed occured at a restaurant called Stag & Doe in North Carolina.  A family who rarely goes out to eat because of their sons epilespy was dining. This is a disorder of the nervous system, characterized by either mild episodic loss of attention or sleepiness or severe convulsions.  Their son was getting frustrated at the table because he was hungry and the Netflix on his mother’s phone wasn’t working.

The boy started to throw a fit and cause commotion in the restaurant.  As their waitress brought out their food, a different waitress was passing on a note from another customer and told them their dinner had already been paid for.  The note said “God only gives special children to special people.”  The mother was so touched she broke down and cried.

I believe small acts like these should be an everyday thing.  Even if it’s picking something up for someone or holding a door open.  People are too often caught up their own lives that they forget about the little things.

Even some celebrities get in on the act of reforming good deeds.

At Mr. Chow’s restaurant in Los Angeles, California, five women were having a girls night out when they realized  they were seated next to rapper and singer LL Cool J.  The women started talk to LL almost instantly; he even posed for a photo with them.  Later when the women ask for the bill the waiter told them that LL already picked up their tab.

Stories like these go to show that there are people who care about doing the right thing.

Paige Schmittling
Paige Schmittling, Staff Writer
Paige Schmittling is a junior at Edwardsville High School.  She spends her time playing softball year-round and working out.  She hopes to attend Western Illinois University and play college softball and major in athletic training.  Paige loves listening to music and watching horror movies.  Paige joined the Journalism 2 staff because she loves Mrs. Thrun and writing. She enjoys going to Cardinals games and watching baseball.  Paige is very energetic and loves the company of her friends.