Hallway Do’s and Don’ts

The bell rings and students pile out of classes, filling the empty hallways with a traffic jam. Students rush to their next class, trying to get there before the minute bell tolls.

We have all been stuck in the middle of the hallway. Plenty of other students are trying to get where they need to go… then the minute bell rings. The hallways here at EHS turn into a crowded mess once students are let out of their class. To make life much easier for all of us, here are some ideas to make everyone happy instead of having to shove your way through a crowd.

When venturing from one classroom to another, stay to the right. This is common sense in our society. You don’t see people driving on the wrong side of the road just because they need to get by. If people just simply walked on the right side, no one would be trying to go against the traffic or push their way through.

My next piece of advice should also be common sense: be polite and don’t stop in the middle of the hallway. The results of stopping are often unpleasant for you and for the other students trying to get to class. Some people will shove you aside or cut through the group in the middle of the hall. This can cause some anger for both parties. You have plenty of room to stand to the sides of the hallway, so please do so.

The final thing is when going to class, one should never stop on the stairway. I have never been able to wrap my mind around why I have to stop when trying to go from the library up to the second floor. There are three staircases and I know for a fact that there is one that is never overly-crowded. There is no reason for one stairwell to be almost empty while I am in the middle of the stairs trying to get to the next floor.

So next time the bell rings, will you take another route? Or maybe you’ll be more polite? Who knows, you might get to class on time.

Caitlin Rutz
Caitlin Rutz, Culture Editor
Caitlin Rutz is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is ready to make the best of this year. While most of her time is spent speaking in German just for the fun of it, the rest of her time is spent reading and writing in Journalism. She is ecstatic to finally be an editor this year and plans to make the most of it. She is happily planning her future out and taking it one step at a time with a stable head on her shoulders. When she isn't practically living in the Journalism room, she holds many conversations in German with her best friend Sam Jueckstock.