The Top of the Charts

From jamming out in the car to head-banging at home, music is a big part of people’s lives. The question is, what music player is the best? From Google Play to the relatively new Songza, you have plenty of choices to pick from. I am here to tell you which one to pick and which one to ditch, from apps to online.

Songza is a newer app that is yet another spin-off of Pandora, but it is great to say the least. When logged onto the app or online, you have six categories to choose from including ‘waking up,’ ‘working,’ ‘working out,’ ‘Friday night party,’ etc. These categories change each time you pull up the app. You pick one and from there you pick a genre, and from that genre you pick one of three playlists. Tell me that is not user friendly. Sure it takes a little time, but after that it is smooth sailing. Sadly, there are limited skips but I have yet to listen to any audio ads.

Google play is a knock-off of iTunes and really is a waste of time for iPhone users. No, it is not free; you have to pay for the music. You also have to have an account, which just takes up your time.

Pandora is wonderful if you are okay with multiple ads in between songs on a boring and rather annoying loop. Luckily for iPhone users, ‘there’s an app for that.’ The layout is fine and Pandora gives you the lyrics as well as the artist and album name. You can search by genres and do not need to waste your time with buying the music; you like the song and it will come back on eventually.  Its downfall is that you can only skip so many songs before Pandora shows you a video ad, also boring and annoying.

Playlist.com is a spin-off of Pandora, but the layout is more user-friendly. Pick an artist, a song, an album and Playlist.com finds it for you. You can like the song and skip past it. Like Pandora, however, you only have a limited number of skips, but fortunately for the users there are no audio ads that take up your jam session time or kill the vibe. Sadly this fantastic website does not have an app, making it a computer only option.

So next time you are about to have a jam session in your car, pull up Songza. It works, it is simple, and it has a little bit of something for everybody.

Caitlin Rutz
Caitlin Rutz, Culture Editor
Caitlin Rutz is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is ready to make the best of this year. While most of her time is spent speaking in German just for the fun of it, the rest of her time is spent reading and writing in Journalism. She is ecstatic to finally be an editor this year and plans to make the most of it. She is happily planning her future out and taking it one step at a time with a stable head on her shoulders. When she isn't practically living in the Journalism room, she holds many conversations in German with her best friend Sam Jueckstock.