It’s Not Vogue, But It’s Not Your House Either

When you wake up in the morning, you probably don’t feel like dealing with simple things like what you want for breakfast, let alone what you’re going to wear to school. No matter how tired you are, it is crucial that you still look your best, even when you think you feel your worst.

Some days when we aren’t as irritated in the morning, we tend to dress nicer to school. Ladies will wear their hair in beach curls and their gold sandals, and gentlemen will wear their tasteful Ralph Lauren Polos and Sperry’s. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dressing up; it benefits you in more ways than one.

Dressing up for school helps you have a better day. The better you feel about yourself, the more you feel you can accomplish. Perhaps it will make you feel more confident in getting an “A” on your quiz or boost your self-esteem for the timed mile in P.E. Not only does it help you, it increases people’s positive perception of you if they see you looking presentable.

Dressing presentably doesn’t necessarily mean you have to wear your nicest pants. As long as you look hygienic and appropriate, you look presentable. You don’t necessarily have to feel uncomfortable or wake up an extra hour early just to dress up to school. You can still dress down and look presentable at the same time. If you’re going to wear sweatpants and a t-shirt, that is perfectly okay as long as you still look decent and appropriate enough to be in public. This isn’t your house. I don’t want to see you in exactly what you were wearing when you woke up.

As long as you look socially acceptable to be in public and what you’re wearing gives you the confidence to make it through the school day, you are dressing up for school.

Cristina Rivera-Bosques
Cristina Rivera-Bosques, Editor-in-Chief
Cristina Rivera-Bosques is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw.  She enjoys shopping, reading intriguing articles, and listening to Beyoncé.  Her favorite class at school is Journalism 2 of course, as well as any writing-intensive courses.  She works at The Cup and at the St. Louis Zoo. Visit her, and maybe she'll give you a free cupcake. She hopes to be successful enough to double major in Journalism and Psychology at Indiana University Bloomington or the University of Missouri. Enjoy reading through the site!