Forget your car, get on your bike

Having been in high school for four years, you would think getting up as late as possible, getting into your car and arriving in the knick of time would be the daily routine.  A few weeks ago I decided to try something else.  I rode my bike to school.

Some kids ride their bikes to school because they live closer to school and it is the most convenient option for them.  I, however, live in Glen Carbon closer toMaryville, so I have quite a trek.

The first day I decided to ride my bike I left at around 6:30, having a general idea of how long it would take me.  I arrived at school 15 minutes early and realized I could have left even later.  So I eventually started leaving at 6:45, which is only 15 minutes earlier than I leave when I’m driving.

What people don’t realize is how much time you wait at stoplights in your car when driving and that sometimes riding your bike could take just as long as driving, so you don’t have to wake up as early as you might think. 

Another benefit is the exercise you get.  Exercising in the morning not only jump starts your metabolism, but it also keeps you energized for the rest of the day.  It increases your mental acuity, which can really help when the place you are going is school.  

“It makes me feel good,” said senior Nicola Muscroft. “I feel fresher in the morning and ready to start my day; I feel more productive.”

There are also the high gas prices to look at.  I hear people constantly complaining about them.  Riding your bike can help you save your money for other things.

“I like biking for the exercise and it saves gas, which is good for me and the environment,” said senior Heidi Looker-Dettmer.

Biking is great for the environment. It is the most energy efficient form of transportation ever invented.

So next time you are annoyed by people in the parking lot or on your bus, try something new, if you can, and ride your bike.