Students to Accept Acknowledgement for their Academic Awards

Morgan Goebel, Co Editor-In-Chief

While media hype usually surrounds the signing and recruitment of high school athletes who move on to play at the collegiate level, often times academic scholars receive little or no recognition for their scholarships.

But this year, senior and class of 2017 President Ike Bertels is implementing an academic signing day at EHS to ensure that all students feel their scholarships are recognized.

“I have seen high schools around the area and throughout the country that all have variations of an academic signing day. This type of event had never occurred to me, and I became intrigued by what I could turn into into for EHS,” Bertels said. “After discussing it with other people in the school district and hearing nothing but positive feedback, I decided that I wanted to follow through with the idea.”

Bertels presented the concept to the rest of the senior class officers and principal Dr. Dennis Cramsey in October 2016, and by February 2017 the school board had approved the signing.

“I was excited. That’s what we’re all about—academics,” Dr. Cramsey said. “As much as I support everything our athletes do, the bottom line is academics are number one.”

Eligibility for the signing was set at a half-tuition scholarship and above from the two or four-year university the student is planning to attend in the fall of 2017.

Students interested in academic signing day should pick up a form from the carousel in the office and return it to Mrs. Janek in the principal’s office by April 7. Participants are encouraged to invite family members and college representatives to the event.

Although the original date for the event was set for May 5, Dr. Cramsey said the date was in the process of being changed due to the other big events occurring that day: Yearbook Day and Tiger Choice Awards.

“Rather than trying to squeeze in another really important event, we’re looking at moving the signing to early the following week, which will be the last week that seniors are here,” Dr. Cramsey said.

Bertels said there are many successful students who would make great candidates for the event, including senior Jennie Ellsworth.

“I think I have been a very hard worker, and being recognized (for my academic scholarship) is very rewarding,” Ellsworth said.

Ellsworth was offered the Regents’ scholarship at Southeast Missouri State University, which she said covers full tuition.

“A lot of academic scholarships go unnoticed, but a high grade point average is something not everyone can accomplish,” she said. “Athletes get the same recognition for what could be the same amount of money; it is just obtained in a different way.”

The idea that academic scholarships are just as important as athletic scholarships is something Dr. Cramsey said he wants to instill in future classes at EHS.

“I hope academic signing day highlights how successful our students really are and motivates and inspires other students to try to achieve the same success.”