Health Occupations Club ‘Shines the Light on Mental Illnesses’ with Glow Run

Jade Weber, News Editor

At 7:30 p.m. on a Saturday, EHS is usually dim and quiet. Last week, however, the campus was illuminated by Health Occupations Club’s 1 Mile Fun-Glow Run.

The event brought awareness to mental illnesses, and proceeds will help five HOSA students pay for the international competition in June and benefit the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). NAMI is “the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness,” according to its website.

According to junior and club member Paige Way, the Glow Run ran smoothly for it being the first time the club has hosted it.

“A lot of people from our community got to come out and enjoy the night,” Way said, “and also help raise money for NAMI, which was our main goal.”

The course ran from the Jon Davis Wrestling Center to the track behind the school. To prepare, Health Occupations designed t-shirts for all the runners; painted arrows with glow chalk; set up balloons, flyers and posters; and prepared a bag for each runner that included their shirt, number, cups, stickers and pamphlets from sponsors.

Senior and club President Hira Naqvi was satisfied they had around 50 runners and walkers and raised $760.50. Half of the money raised will go towards the HOSA students.

“It turned out well,” Naqvi said. “In a short amount of time, we worked a lot for this event this year.”

Health Occupations Club works year-round to raise money and awareness for various charities with events like the Princess Tea Party and hopes the 1 Mile Fun-Glow Run will be effective in the future.

“I know the club members enjoyed the run,” Way said, “and we all hope to continue doing it throughout the years.”