Edwardsville Reforms Push for Prop E

Erin Morrisey, Staff Writer

Despite the orange pickets and numerous Facebook pages, Proposition E failed by 1,080 votes in November’s election, according to the Belleville News Democrat.

The school board approved a motion on Jan. 9 to put the proposition on the April ballot, and although no aspect of the proposition has changed, supporters and dissenters have renewed the fervor of their approaches on the referendum.

“One of many things that will be part of our message (during campaigning) is that we need (voter) turnout,” District 7 Superintendent Dr. Linda Andre told BND.

And the underclassmen at EHS have taken this urgency to heart, echoing Dr. Andre’s comments.

“The word (about Prop E) has been spread by not just teenagers, but also parents, community members and even the school itself,” sophomore Tessa Leapley said.

Even as awareness has continued to spread, students and parents have taken to the same platforms to convince others of their viewpoints. Facebook is a popular avenue for parents to voice their opinions while students took to sharing voter registration forms on Twitter.

“Although Prop E will affect our entire community, it will most directly affect ECUSD7 students. We must make our voice heard,” the “Students for Prop E” twitter account said on Feb. 15. High school seniors over 18 and EHS alumni are encouraged to vote on absentee ballots or drive out to polls as those who will experience much of the impact of the success or failure of Prop E.

Pamela Ann, a mother and homeschool teacher, took a different approach and posted her opinions on the “Vote Yes” Facebook page: “When the choice is property tax increase or nothing, I have to vote for nothing. More out-of-the-box ideas need to be brought forth by the super and the board… This administration has a long way to go in treating taxpayers with the respect we’re due.”

However, some proposition supporters disagree. Savedistrict7schools.com, a website created to inform the community on the topic, offers a possible explanation to Ann.

“The District has exhausted all other avenues of avoiding going to the taxpayers,” the website said. “There are no other ways to make up this gap and meet the 2019 deadline of a balanced budget to avoid a potential state takeover.”

If the proposition doesn’t pass on April 4, District 7 will cut athletics, extracurricular activities, arts programs (all listed on the “referendum list”) and various student services in the attempt to postpone state takeover.

According to the Intelligencer, “The board unanimously approved a resolution to implement the ‘referendum list’ of expenditure reductions should Prop E fail.”

This list—which includes cuts to all middle school and ninth grade sports, performing arts and 50 percent of extracurricular activities—is what encouraged many students to increase their passion for the referendum: they realized what they would lose should the proposition fail.

“I’m pretty heavily involved in tech and if the budget were to be cut so there would only be one show a year (as the referendum list says) … so many doors would be closed,” Leapley said. “I’ve learned so many social and technical skills that will help in later life.”

Yet Leapley, along with many underage high school students, is unable to voice her opinion in the upcoming election. As a result, many of those voting treat the referendum as an issue mainly concerning taxation, not growth in schools.

Darin Opel posted on the Prop E Facebook page that he chose to vote against the referendum because “Madison County has one of the highest median property taxes in the United States.”

To those who can vote, Leapley offers a final piece of advice: “Be informed. And know that it isn’t simply a raise in taxes. It’s furthering opportunities and improving the community. And every vote does count; even though your vote isn’t the deciding factor, the attitude of one vote… is contagious.”