Tigers Show Talent at Annual Show

Morgan Goebel, Co Editor-In-Chief

Although there were plenty of high school talent show staples at Student Council’s event on Thursday, Feb. 16, such as singing, dancing and playing instruments, there were also many acts unique to EHS including beat boxing, a liquid nitrogen display and poetry recitation.

“We ask (the acts that try out) to keep in mind that we can’t have all singers,” Student Council president Mary Webb said. “We want to keep the show diverse and unique.”

But before students could perform in front of the school, they had to audition in front of a panel of Student Council members who decided which acts would perform at the show.

“All of Student Council sits in during auditions and takes notes so they remember who did what and how they did,” Webb said. “After the three audition days, we go through every act and talk about what we liked and didn’t like about each one until we decide the final amount.”

This year, 22 acts made the show—one of which was Science Club.

Senior Caroline Kaminsky kicked off the club’s “moment of science” by quoting a scene from “The Bee Movie.”

“I thought it was a great way to draw people in because it’s a very popular movie right now,” junior Emily Voss said. “I personally found it hilarious because I wasn’t expecting it.”

As the performance continued, the Science Club showed EHS students how to waggle dance, how bees fly and a bee mating ritual. The performance also featured a blast of liquid nitrogen from senior Helena Frisbie-Firsching.

“We met at the school at 5 p.m. the night of the talent show to practice for the first time,” Kaminsky said. “I guess you can say that we ‘wing’ it.”

While veteran acts like Science Club kept their practicing to a minimum, first-time performers “The Saxonetes” were slightly more stringent with their schedule.

The group of saxophone and clarinet players including juniors Darren Kirsch and Devonte Fuller, sophomores Lexie Allen and Reni Nguyen and freshman Joshua Mills collaborated about five months ago after meeting through EHS band. After one of the members suggested playing in the talent show, Fuller said the group decided to try out.

“Once we picked out the music, it was just a matter of scheduling practices,” he said. “We met up at each other’s houses and really did more eating than anything, but the end result was pretty great.”

And the audience agreed; the Saxonetes received a standing ovation for their performance of “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus, “Thrift Shop” by Macklemore and “S&M” by Rihanna.

“We were all so elated walking off the stage,” Fuller said. “Throughout the performance, everyone was singing and having fun with us, so it gave us even more energy.”

That kind of energy and diversity is what Webb said made the show successful.

“This show was different and it had a really great mix of acts,” Webb said. “It always reminds me of how much talent EHS has.”