J-Students Bring Home 14 Awards

Erin Morrisey, Staff Writer

Students flocked to SIU Carbondale armed with pencils, cameras and AP Style Guides. When they left, they carried 12 certificates and two plaques back to room A113.

On Wednesday, Feb. 22, 21 EHS journalists competed against 17 other schools in multiple writing, photography and design contests.

Senior Lily Grieve (a two-year journalism student) competed in yearbook feature writing. She was given a compilation of quotes and statistics, then had an hour and 20 minutes to write a 350-word story.

“The competition is way less stressful at SISPA because it’s only practice for sectionals and state… but I still felt like I needed to place,” Grieve said. “I was happy with what I was able to write with such a small amount of information.”

And senior Jamie Skigen said she learned a lot from her few hours at SISPA (and earned third place in her category).

“After participating in the feature writing competition, consisting of a live interview as well as a timed writing session, I have a newfound appreciation for the journalistic process,” Skigen said. “I learned how to appropriately interview a professional as well as write a piece in a time crunch.”

Not everyone was pleased with their experience at SISPA, though. Senior photographer and journalism student Sophie Kraus competed in photojournalism and planned extensively before the competition.

“I had very high hopes for SISPA; I had everything mapped out to go around campus to get the photos that were required. Although I was very nervous, I knew what I needed to do for the competition,” Kraus said.

Although she placed first at last year’s sectional competition, Kraus (along with EHS photographer Loewy Noud) experienced technical difficulties during her competition this year, and she didn’t place.

Despite Kraus’s difficulty in her category, EHS was able to come home with 12 awards, including recognition for the 2015-16 yearbook and this year’s Claw magazine. The journalism students view their success as a reason to be newsworthy within their school.

“Our success continues to build the school’s positive reputation,” Grieve said. “This is just one of the many ways we can prove the strength and talent of the EHS student body, and I’m very proud to contribute to that.”

And students like Kraus plan to use their knowledge to continue to improve the journalism program at EHS.

“It’s humbling to know I am able to work with such talented people and advisers,” Kraus said. “I couldn’t be more proud of what our journalism program does and can’t wait to see what we are capable of the rest of the year.”