Foreign Exchange Students, EHS Trade Traditions

Erin Morrisey, Staff Writer

Twenty Beijing students traveled 18 hours by plane to reach the hub of the Midwest to learn about culture and colleges, but EHS hosts have been learning as much as the foreign students.

Most host families were hand-picked by AP Human Geography teacher Kevin Paur, then connected with Chinese students online.

Senior Cam Potter said he was matched with his partner—a sophomore named Tiger—through Alpha Exchange. Students were paired based on their responses to a questionnaire and personality test.

The students met their hosts on Wednesday, Jan. 18 and spent almost three weeks in America before departing on Saturday, Feb. 4.

During their time in America, students visited multiple colleges and experienced traditional American culture by attending school events (like a Ping-Pong tournament) and multiple parties, including a movie night, a bonfire and a day at the City Museum.

“I really think (the parties) gave (my foreign exchange student) the best of American culture. Not to mention they were fun for me, too,” Potter said.

Aside from parties, the students also got to experience the day-to-day life of American students.

Senior Grace Perry invited her student (Blanche, a sophomore) to the Arch, the St. Louis Art Museum, a few club meetings, numerous games of Uno and the end of the Women’s March on St. Louis.

And sophomore exchange student Aubrey Li said she enjoyed similar opportunities she was given to immerse herself in a new culture, but she especially liked being able to share her culture with others. She encouraged future foreign exchange students to do the same.

“You’re the one who is here as a cultural exchange student,” Li said. “Show others your value of being one. Mention more culture of yours because we don’t really know much about each other. We think we know each other but we really don’t.”

Many EHS hosts found the different culture fascinating. Potter encourages everyone to take the chance to host a foreign exchange student.

“You will learn so much about interacting with someone from another country and you will have fun getting to know a lot of the students and their hosts as well. You can get out of your comport zone to show them typical American things, too. I think it’s an excellent experience that you’d never forget,” he said.

Aside from the benefits of hosting, students enjoyed the lack of difficulties that came with housing a foreign exchange student.

“(There is a) language barrier. However, because (the students) know so much English it wasn’t as big of a problem as expected,” Perry said. “We all got along really well… Having conversations about anything and everything wasn’t a problem (for us). Overall, the expected difficulties weren’t very difficult.”

And the Chinese students agreed. Li said her time here was enlightening and offered a final piece of advice to every exchange student.

“Stay active in class, try to talk to American students,” she said. “Just enjoy it. Enjoy your time.”