’Tis the Season to be Selfless

Emma Lipe, Life Editor

Every family deserves to have under their trees this holiday season, and District 7 is doing its part to make sure that happens.

Nurses from each school have taken on the role of “Santa Claus,” garnering donations for tens of in-district families who need help this season.

Families provide the district with their children’s holiday wish lists, including their ages, shoe and clothing sizes, likes and dislikes. A family could also request nonperishable food items or cleaning supplies.

The nurses then assign a family to each club and class that wants to participate. EHS has “adopted” 22 families through the program.

Through Ms. Svevia’s Spanish class and Medical Occupations Club, junior Myah Archer has opted to donate to two families. Archer said donating made her feel good.

“I’m very lucky to have the life I have,” she said. “Donating a little to help a family with nothing is the least I can do.”

EHS has taken the initiative to give independently from the district, too.

Key Club has set up a bare tree in the lobby for students to decorate with socks, gloves, hats, coats and other warm clothes. All of these cozy ornaments will be donated to the homeless.

“The best part (of being president) is seeing the difference the club and all of its members make when we do things like this,” Key Club President Taylor Mateyka said.

Mateyka said the tree is set up each year for two reasons: to spread holiday cheer, and to encourage students to be selfless this season.

“The outpouring of people who want to give this season is incredible,” Nurse Ahler said. “It’s really nice to know that people want to give. It makes you feel good.”