Student Council Conducts Annual Spring Term Interviews

Erin Morrisey, Staff Writer

Two words invoke images of pep rallies, homecoming and room A229: Student Council.

Interviews on Nov. 7, 8 and 9 gave all students the opportunity to join the club.

Senior and head of Orange Rush Hannah Griffin said everyone except officers are required to interview for student council. This means old council members and new possible members must be interviewed, regardless of their qualifications.

Student Council holds 36 members—including officers—and anywhere from 60 to 80 people interview for positions in the club.

“We try to have a [good] representation of the school, so [we look for students] from each grade and gender and try to get different ethnicities…activities and social groups so we can fairly represent the school,” Griffin said. “But we are also looking for good leaders who are outgoing and hard workers.”

Because EHS has so many good applicants, Griffin said the officers sometimes disagree on who should be accepted onto Student Council.

“We sometimes disagree on who we think should be added to the council because there are so many good applicants,” Griffin said.

These “good applicants” are drawn to the club as a result of the impressive events Student Council organizes.

“We just got done with homecoming which is a major event for us, so [everyone] saw what we did and wants to join,” Griffin said. “It’s fun making decisions for the school and helping out the community.”

For all the fun Student Council has, there is a lot of work involved. The club has mandatory meetings every Tuesday and self-described “work days” on Thursdays beginning in the spring, when volunteer hours are frequent. Often, the club members must take projects home in order to complete them.

Student Council also requires their members to make announcements in classes and during lunch, so prospective members must be willing to leave their comfort zones.

Finally, Student Council expects its members to “have a positive attitude and the heart to do those things [such as volunteering,]” according to Griffin.

Although these requirements can seem overwhelming, Griffin encourages interviewees not to give up if they don’t make it onto Student Council on their first try. She says these interviews students prepare for any possible interviews they might have in the future.