Jason Motte Visits EHS After Partnering with PTG

Miranda Lintzenich, Life Editor

One boy’s dream made an impact in the community back in September and continued to do so last Tuesday, Jan. 19 when the major league baseball player, Jason Motte, came to visit.

During the month, Schulz partnered with the Motte Foundation and set up a change-collecting event among the district. At EHS, first hour English classes were challenged to raise the most money in an effort to win the chance to meet and eat with Jason Motte.

The cheerleaders, field hockey team, and boys basketball team all helped raise money for the cause as well, earning them a seat next to Motte as well.

Mrs. Bernall’s Sophomore World Literature class won the contest. Mrs. Thrun’s Advanced Journalism Composition class followed behind in a close second. District-wide, over $20,000 was raised.

At the Q&A with Motte, he had nothing but supportive comments to say about Schulz’s efforts.

“His goal was $100,000 and managed to raise well over that amount,” Motte said. “But Todd is not just battling this in September. It’s a year round thing.”

Motte first started his foundation soon after he and his wife got married. Her grandpa was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. The Motte’s wanted to “help the people that were helping [them].”

“We wanted to show that there are people out there who actually care and that they aren’t fighting this alone,” Motte said.

Raising Cancer awareness is something Motte and his wife feel like “is not an option to not do,” which is why they were eager to come out and participate in Schulz’s Painting the Town Gold project.

Junior Todd Schulz first started his PTG project when his friend, Phoenix, died of cancer. Battling cancer himself, Schulz realized that he had to do something. According to Schulz, 22 district kids have had cancer in the past ten years and as of Jan. 19, there were five in active treatment.

“I knew that I didn’t want to stand by and watch anybody die again,” Schulz said.

Painting the Town Gold took place during September. Schulz’s goal was to raise at least $100,000 for pediatric research at St. Baldricks during the month-long time frame. With the help of the community, Schulz exceeded his goal, which is something that he is very thankful for.

“It’s something that I care about and my wife cares about,” Motte said. “If there’s a way to help people, for us that is really what is important.”

Motte spent the rest of the time stressing the importance of helping a cause.

“You don’t have to be in September to do something- every little bit helps,” Motte said. “They’re not giving up so why should I give up on raising awareness and raising funds? They’re fighting for their lives. If you want to make a difference, you can.”