Gearing Up for Letters Of Hope

On March 20 EHS will host its fourth annual Letters Of Hope event during sixth hour. While to some this is just an opportunity to get out of class, for so many other students across the world, this has a very specific meaning.

“The African Vision of Hope organization is special to me because it is directly helping other students in need across the world”, EHS English Teacher Nicole Pontious said. “As a teacher, I take pride in the fact that I can contribute to the success of another person, another student and make their situation a little better to allow them to succeed in the world.”

Each year the funds that are raised go to a different specific need over in Zambia. This year the proceeds are going towards a class set of calculators for the students. This seems like an everyday thing for the students at EHS but for the students in Zambia it means something wonderful… a learning experience.

To junior and co-chairwoman Kiersten Abernathy Letters of Hope mean just that, “When the high school does these amazing things it brings me so much hope that we are bettering the world around us.”

During 6th hour, EHS students will learn about the African Vision of Hope schools and the day to day life of the students. Students will also receive a little card with information about a student over in Zambia to which they can write a letter to. Throughout the event many students will get the opportunity to win authentic prizes from Africa, such as authentic soccer jerseys and handmade purses and jewelry.

“It is such a delight for the African students to receive our letters and know that other students in America care about them and host an event to directly help support them.” Mrs. Pontious said.

With an event like this it takes a lot of planning and corporation between our students and facility members.

“We started [planning] around the beginning of the school year to just get an idea of how to pull it off”, Abernathy said. “We really got going this February getting together with our amazing committee to start spreading the word.”

With all that has gone into Letters of Hope, from setting up a clear line of communication to selling t-shirts at lunch it begs the question: What does Letters of Hope mean to you?

Caitlin Rutz
Caitlin Rutz, Culture Editor
Caitlin Rutz is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is ready to make the best of this year. While most of her time is spent speaking in German just for the fun of it, the rest of her time is spent reading and writing in Journalism. She is ecstatic to finally be an editor this year and plans to make the most of it. She is happily planning her future out and taking it one step at a time with a stable head on her shoulders. When she isn't practically living in the Journalism room, she holds many conversations in German with her best friend Sam Jueckstock.