EPIC Hosts Successful Red Ribbon Week Halloween Contest

On Halloween, the hallways of EHS could have been mistaken for those of a haunted house. Every corner you turned brought a new student with a gory gash on their face done so well you could have sworn they had just awakened from the dead.

Other students took a less gruesome approach to the holiday dressing as their favorite teachers; physics teacher Mr. Cliff Parker seemed to be around every corner and physics Mr. Nathan Rassi had quite a few doppelgangers too. An army of Grey’s Anatomy nurses wandered the halls and if you were lucky enough, you got to see Flash himself running from class to class.

It is easy to say EHS took Halloween pretty seriously this year. Every year the Edwardsville Peer Influence Club (E.P.I.C) sponsors a costume contest as the finale to Red Ribbon Week. The first place winner of each category wins a $20 gift card to Target, the second place winner receives a $15 gift card to AMC theaters and third place receives a $10 gift card to Starbucks. Categories were Most Creative, Funniest, Scariest and then a special category for Couples and Groups.

Junior Kevin Connelly won the Most Creative category as Captain Jack Sparrow. “I didn’t really just want to win the contest,” Connelly said. “Last year I planned on being Jack Sparrow but changed my idea last minute so I promised those people who were really excited about it that I would do it this year and make it really good.”

Even teachers joined in on the fun and competed in a special category for faculty.  Chemistry teacher Dr. Ellen Simek took first place in the faculty category as Lydia Deetz from the movie Beetlejuice. Dr. Simek’s costume was very elaborate with the wild hair of Deetz and dark makeup, “It took me about an hour [to get ready] mostly because of the makeup,” Dr. Simek said.

Other winners included sophomore Jake Sill as Jake from State Farm in the Funniest category, junior Lena Fahey as a zombie in the Scariest category and freshmen Hope Roderick and Natalee Wooff as Grandma and Grandpa in the Couples and Groups category.

Devin Kane
Devin Kane, Co-Editor-In-Chief
Devin is a senior at EHS and is in her third year in the journalism program. Devin is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw and also oversees sports for the newspaper. Devin is entering her fourth year as a photographer for The Tiger Yearbook and her first year as the Photo Editor. She is also a member of the EHS softball team where she plays outfield. There is nothing Devin takes more pride in than being able to compete as an Edwardsville Tiger. When she’s not taking pictures or on the softball field, Devin enjoys going new places and meeting new people. She is an avid Mizzou football fan and loves anything black and gold. She plans on going to college and studying Physical Therapy or Journalism. Devin’s favorite part of being on the publications staff is seeing the product start to finish and the amount of time and effort that goes into producing the yearbook and newspaper.