May I Have This Dance: 2014 Homecoming Court Announced

With homecoming right around the corner, the court members and king and queen nominees have been announced. Thirty-two EHS students learned Friday over the morning announcements that large dresses and tuxedos were in their future.

The king and queen candidates will vie for the title of this year’s homecoming royalty. King candidates include Jayke White, Wes Schoenthal and Taylor Robinson. Queen candidates are Asher Denkiyrah, Amy Hanks and Emily Lange.

The nominees were chosen differently than in years past. Students nominated other students based on their spirit and volunteer work done around the community. Those that were nominated were then voted on by their classmates, and the top three girls and top three boys were announced from each grade level as court members. The senior court had a tie; therefore, an eight-member court was formed.

The freshman court members are Joe Paolucci, Michael Taplin, Jarrion Singliterry, Kennison Adams, Sydney Dissen and Lexie Freese.

The sophomore court members are Ike Bertels, Hamada Freese, Riley Patterson, Margaret Rose Halpin, Jessica Krebs and Mary Webb.

Junior court members are Henry Lu, Eden Vitoff, Tom Webb, Josie Arnett, Kaitlyn Frick and Lauren Serfas.

Senior court members are Caleb Brandmeyer, Daniel Marinko, Sam Griffin, Jacob Rice, Isabella Lilley, Brooke Lunn, Renee Smith and Allie Stephens.

The court member as nominees will perform a dance at coronation Saturday night before the homecoming dance. “My first thought was ‘Oh shoot, I am not a good dancer’,” Adams said.

Though for some the dance may be a task, Vitoff is looking at it in a different light. “It’ll be fun learning how to dance,” Vitoff said. “That’s something I’ve never really done before, and I think it will be a great experience.”

Luckily for both, the members will have many practices leading up to the dance to make sure everything goes off without a hitch.

“I am looking forward to meeting new people from the other grades and having a fun, memorable time,” Adams said.

Homecoming week kicks off Monday, Sept. 29 with the annual dodge ball tournament. The dance is Saturday, Oct. 4 and coronation of the king and queen will begin at 7 p.m.

Devin Kane
Devin Kane, Co-Editor-In-Chief
Devin is a senior at EHS and is in her third year in the journalism program. Devin is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw and also oversees sports for the newspaper. Devin is entering her fourth year as a photographer for The Tiger Yearbook and her first year as the Photo Editor. She is also a member of the EHS softball team where she plays outfield. There is nothing Devin takes more pride in than being able to compete as an Edwardsville Tiger. When she’s not taking pictures or on the softball field, Devin enjoys going new places and meeting new people. She is an avid Mizzou football fan and loves anything black and gold. She plans on going to college and studying Physical Therapy or Journalism. Devin’s favorite part of being on the publications staff is seeing the product start to finish and the amount of time and effort that goes into producing the yearbook and newspaper.