Switzerland Plans to Host First Bionic Olympics in 2016

In Zurich, Switzerland preparations have already begun being made for the Cybathlon. The Cybathlon is a sporting event for athletes with disabilities who use advanced technology, like prostatic legs and exoskeletons, or athletes who use robotic technology, like powered wheel chairs.

“Professor Hugh Herr, from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, is currently in negotiations with health care professionals to get the bionic limbs more widely available to those who need them,” BBC News said.

Often though there was a disconnection between technology and patients, event organizer Professor Robert Riener said.

The competitor, also known as the pilot, will have the opportunity to win an award as will the company who made the technology they are using during the races.

Cybathlon 2016 is being organized by Swiss National Competence Center of Research and is designed to promote the advancements in technology. Another goal of the Cybathlon is to allow people to compete who have not had the opportunity to do so.

“It’s a really cool advancement. If you think about it there are a lot of really good athletes who may not be able to compete due to the rules of the Olympics,” junior Trip Sorensen said.

Caitlin Rutz
Caitlin Rutz, Culture Editor
Caitlin Rutz is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is ready to make the best of this year. While most of her time is spent speaking in German just for the fun of it, the rest of her time is spent reading and writing in Journalism. She is ecstatic to finally be an editor this year and plans to make the most of it. She is happily planning her future out and taking it one step at a time with a stable head on her shoulders. When she isn't practically living in the Journalism room, she holds many conversations in German with her best friend Sam Jueckstock.