Beware of Pertussis

In the midst of the flu season, many people in the St. Louis Metro area are scared of the outbreak of a different illness.  Pertussis, commonly known as whooping cough, is popping up all over the map.  There have been confirmed cases in St. Louis schools, as well as in the Highland Elementary School.

According to EHS Principal Mr. Dennis Cramsey, whooping cough has made its way into District 7 halls.  “On Sept. 16 the district sent a letter informing EHS parents of a confirmed case of pertussis (commonly called whooping cough),” Mr. Cramsey said.  Four additional students have tested positive for pertussis since Sept. 16.

District 7 implemented precautions to try and limit the spread of the illness.  According to Mr. Cramsey, there have been letters sent out to district parents informing them of situation.  “It’s basically a fact sheet about pertussis,” Mr. Cramsey said. The fact sheet includes information about what pertussis actually is, how it is spread, who is susceptible to contracting it, symptoms, treatment and prevention.

According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, Bordatella pertussis (a germ that lives in the mouth, nose and throat) causes pertussis.  The bacteria are discharged from the nose and throat and spread to others through coughing and sneezing.

One of the four cases at EHS affected junior Drew Flaugher.  “I was contacted by the health department that one of my friends had it (whooping cough) so I got tested,” Flaugher said.  The test came back positive, and Flaugher had the illness for two weeks.  “I had a mild cough and cold symptoms.”  Flaugher was prescribed an antibiotic, azithromycin, and had to take the medication for five days before he was permitted back to school.

Although pertussis is extremely contagious, prevention is possible.  Children should get five vaccinations before age 6.  Immunizations are required for child care and school attendance.  Vaccines may not prevent the illness, but other methods of prevention are possible.  Students should wash their hands after using the restroom, coughing and sneezing.  Make sure to wash hands before each meal as well. Furthermore, kids should also try to cover their mouth at all times when coughing or sneezing.

Brenden Heaton
Brenden Heaton, Staff Writer
Brenden Heaton is a senior at Edwardsville High School.  He enjoys photography, cinematography, and many other hobbies.  Brenden is playing goalkeeper for the EHS soccer team, as well as participating in other extra-curricular activities such as choir, AcaFellaz and drama club.  Brenden is also one of the technical advisers for the Friday Morning News Broadcast at EHS.  Brenden plans on going to school for a degree in cinematography and video production.