School Organizations To Hold Annual Veteran’s Breakfast

While most students will spend time in class, others will be spending their time with local veterans at the annual Veteran’s breakfast and program.  This year’s breakfast will be held on Tuesday Nov. 5 in the EHS commons.

According to retired Media secretary Mrs. Sheryl Burian, EHS has been hosting events for the veterans since 2003.  Groups including FFA, Interact club, Student Council, National Honors Society and the library advisory board have individually hosted such events.

EHS students have participated in event such as cell phones for soldiers, and the veteran’s wall in the library.  “The veterans’ wall honors veterans from past, present, and future,” Mrs. Burian said.

For some, Veteran’s Day is not the most important holiday, but for Mrs. Burian, it truly hits home.  “My son is a war veteran,” Mrs. Burian said.  Being involved with fundraisers and events for veterans is “very dear” to her heart.  Mrs. Burian retired from her position last year, and is pleased to be helping out with the breakfast again this year.  “I was honored to asked back to help [this year],” Mrs. Burian said.

Like the carnival being held Nov. 2, this years breakfast will raise money to the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America charity (IAVA).  According to Mrs. Burian, money was raised throughout the district to be donated.  “On Sept. 11, students bought insignia for different branches of the military.  The students could write the name of their veteran on the insignia,” Mrs. Burian said.  The library advisory also board handed out thank you cards and candy to veterans who are district employees.

This year’s breakfast includes performances from the EHS students.  Junior Michael Ezell will be performing with the Chamber Singers.  “I haven’t performed [at], or attended the veterans breakfast but I’m excited that I get to do it this year,” Ezell said.  “Veterans have fought for our rights and way of life, and the least we can do is support them by providing money and entertainment for them.”

Ezell especially likes seeing the smiles on the faces of veterans he performs for.  “Whenever I have performed for veterans, I have been overjoyed to see their faces.  The practicing for the performance is just a small cost in order to reward those who risk their lives for us.”

Senior Jacob Burns will be performing with the EHS Chamber Orchestra.  According to Burns, the Chamber Orchestra will be performing both traditional pieces, as well as a few classical/American pieces.  “I think it’s a great opportunity not only to express awareness of the orchestra but also to give them some good music,” Burns said.

After breakfast is served, there will be a special ceremony in which retired American Flags will be presented to the school district.  According to Mrs. Burian, retired flags, which have been flown at military bases overseas, will be presented to principals and students from each district building.  Also following breakfast, student representatives will present a check to the IAVA charity.

Brenden Heaton
Brenden Heaton, Staff Writer
Brenden Heaton is a senior at Edwardsville High School.  He enjoys photography, cinematography, and many other hobbies.  Brenden is playing goalkeeper for the EHS soccer team, as well as participating in other extra-curricular activities such as choir, AcaFellaz and drama club.  Brenden is also one of the technical advisers for the Friday Morning News Broadcast at EHS.  Brenden plans on going to school for a degree in cinematography and video production.