Soon to Come: Red Ribbon Run

The Edwardsville District 7 community will be hosting their first ever Red Ribbon Run at Edwardsville High School. The idea is to celebrate and publicize National Red Ribbon Week to encourage the prevention of alcohol and drugs.

The race will be held Saturday Oct. 19, and you may choose between the 5K race, and the One Mile Fun Run. Each race will cost $30 with a $3 signup fee for adults, and $15 with a $2.50 signup fee for children 17 years and younger.  Registration includes a free complimentary T-shirt.

The race will begin at the Edwardsville High School track and will loop onto the County Transit’s Nature Trail and then to Plum Street. Three water stations will also be available along the way to quench any thirst.

There is also a health fair that will include: music, free games for the kids, free food samples from local businesses, a silent auction and other events.

All area families are encouraged to attend. According to runsignup.com, proceeds to be equally divided between Edwardsville Peer Influence Club (at EHS), Friends In Touch, Guidance in Operations (at the middle schools) and the Alliance for Substance Abuse Prevention.

The idea started with Mrs. Donna Nahlik (EHS prevention coordinator) and Mrs. Missi Sanders (one of the EPIC sponsors) wanting to publicize Red Ribbon Week. Soon enough other ideas from senior event coordinator Nicole Doornink sprouted up.

She added the idea of having a more casual one mile fun run to either walk or run in, and also hosting a health fair at the high school with local businesses, food, and family activities.

“At this point, we will have at least 100 runners, which is incredible for the first year event – even though this number is expected to increase,” Doornink said.

The members of EPIC will be participating by “handing out drinks, managing booths, cleaning up and anything else we can,” senior Abby Bailey.

According to the website, at the end of the race medals will be distributed by age categories, and all fun run participants receive a prize.

For more information check out, runsignup.com/redribbon5k, www.redribbon5k.weebly.com, or look up Red Ribbon Run on Facebook.

Tatum Secor
Tatum Secor, Staff Writer
Tatum Secor is a senior at Edwardsville High School and was born July 3, 1995 in Huntsville, Alabama. Although born in the South, she was raised in the St. Louis area and prefers the dwelling of city life over rural areas. She plans to pursue a career in Advertising/Graphic Design and attend college at Southern Illinois University. “I bounced around between my career choices and after taking a Journalism class, I realized how much I truly love the media,” Secor said. In her spare time she does horseback riding and takes lesson with her trainer. “The thrill of the sport combined with the patience needed to work with a 1200 pound animal is really something extraordinary.”