Acoustics Acts Strumming at Annie’s

It is Saturday and a crisp breeze brushes by, but it is overlooked from the warm sunny day that is coming to an end. A few friends call and tell you some local bands are playing up at Annie’s, and as you drive by you decide, stop—it’s ice cream time.

Annie’s, at its original location on South Buchanan Street, hosted live performances of acoustic bands and soloists for the public Saturday evening.

Normally they will invite one band to play on a Saturday night, but this time they had two bands and two soloists preforming live—all local high school students.

“I liked having several bands because you get more variety. Plus it’s great that other people could see how talented our students are,” senior Bonnie Schuette said.

Annie’s owner Kay Geizelmann sets up the dates and chooses the performances. Saturday’s music started at five and each performance was given an hour to show their stuff before the next band or soloist would come on.

“The music was great and so was the weather. Who doesn’t love good music, 60 degree weather and ice cream?” senior Haley Patton said.

The first band to play in the evening, The Limit consisted of senior Grant Mcwhorter, senior Chris Miller, senior Doug Morris and senior Sam Watts. Following them was soloist senior Harrison Gorden and soloist senior Jack Desse. The last band of the evening consisted of members: senior Nathan Ash, senior Lendsay Wolfford and senior Alex Peterson.

Not only having acts preform here a way to entertain folks, but also to brings in a crowd“…we [Annie’s] were super busy the whole time,” Annie’s employee said.

At the end of the day “… the turnout was really great, “Patton said. “The bands brought out lots of people of all ages too.”

Tatum Secor
Tatum Secor, Staff Writer
Tatum Secor is a senior at Edwardsville High School and was born July 3, 1995 in Huntsville, Alabama. Although born in the South, she was raised in the St. Louis area and prefers the dwelling of city life over rural areas. She plans to pursue a career in Advertising/Graphic Design and attend college at Southern Illinois University. “I bounced around between my career choices and after taking a Journalism class, I realized how much I truly love the media,” Secor said. In her spare time she does horseback riding and takes lesson with her trainer. “The thrill of the sport combined with the patience needed to work with a 1200 pound animal is really something extraordinary.”