Students Get College Credits Now

Many students at EHS have enrolled in dual-credit classes, but do they fully understand what that means?  Is an Advanced Placement class the same as a dual-credit class?  Not quite. It turns out that most students at EHS don’t know the difference.

“An AP class is basically a class that prepares you for the final you will take in order to get the college credit,” junior Caleb Brandmeyer said, “and in dual-credit you are given the credit as long as you pass the class.”

Failing the class here at school causes a few things to happen; the student failing must drop out and receive a failing GPA score on their college transcript from Lewis and Clark and they must drop into a study hall. Later when the student is applying for colleges they must show those colleges the failing GPA that they had received.

“The student really just has to make a good choice,” Assistant Principal Julie Materelli said.

EHS is in a partnership with Lewis and Clark, meaning that Lewis and Clark is the college that you enroll in. In order to enroll for the dual-credit, a student must take a placement test in reading comprehension. For students to be eligible, then they must score a 75% or higher. Do not fret when taking the placement test you get a four point cushion for you to enroll.

Everyone knows college is expensive; year after year college tuition is getting higher. Some classes complete four hours of a college class while others complete two or three. By enrolling in dual-credit classes you can save thousands of dollars depending on which classes you take.

“For example an SIUE three hour class amounts up to $996,” Mrs. Materelli said, “and at Lewis and Clark a three hour class is worth $303.”

The only dilemma is which college will take the dual-credit transcript from Lewis and Clark. “I’m taking AP and dual-credit classes and I doubt that the college I am looking at will really take the AP credits.” Senior Sami Greytak said.

Whether a student is taking an AP or a dual-credit class it is important to know the difference between the too. Making good decisions and good grades are very crucial for an up-coming college career.

Caitlin Rutz
Caitlin Rutz, Culture Editor
Caitlin Rutz is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is ready to make the best of this year. While most of her time is spent speaking in German just for the fun of it, the rest of her time is spent reading and writing in Journalism. She is ecstatic to finally be an editor this year and plans to make the most of it. She is happily planning her future out and taking it one step at a time with a stable head on her shoulders. When she isn't practically living in the Journalism room, she holds many conversations in German with her best friend Sam Jueckstock.